Joe Sacco’s Indictment of Western Blindness on Gaza
Widely regarded as one of the pioneers of comics journalism, Joe Sacco has 
focused his work heavily on Palestine. He spoke to Jacobin about the West’s 
complicity in Israel’s crimes and why it’s journalists’ job to talk about it.
Joe Sacco is widely regarded as one of the pioneers of comics journalism. He 
became famous for his Palestine (first published in 1993–95) which offered a 
powerful portrayal of Palestinian life under Israeli occupation. In 2009 came 
his Footnotes in Gaza, and, in 2024, War on Gaza, a collection of comics 
commenting on the Israeli destruction of the Gaza Strip. Today the streets that 
the journalist and cartoonist once depicted in such painstaking detail no 
longer exist.
Now, over three decades since the first publication of Palestine, Sacco has 
again turned his attention to Gaza. Last year, together with his colleague 
Chris Hedges, he traveled to Cairo to interview refugees who had survived the 
genocide. Their new volume Requiem for Gaza, combines Sacco’s drawings and 
reporting with Hedges’s prose and interviews to document Gazans’ experiences.
Sacco spoke with Elias Feroz about Requiem for Gaza in an interview for 
Jacobin. Sacco reflects on the failure of much Western media to stand by their 
Palestinian colleagues, many of whom were killed as they reported on the 
genocide. Their conversation also addressed historical memory, Sacco’s 
decades-long engagement with Palestine, and why the destruction of Gaza has 
compelled him to return to journalism.
Elias Feroz
You and Chris Hedges explicitly dedicate this book to Palestinian journalists, 
a group that has been targeted and killed like never before in the war on Gaza. 
If we consider a “requiem” as an elegy for the dead, is this book also your 
personal requiem for your killed colleagues who were silenced?
Joe Sacco
The book is a requiem for all of Gaza and for Gazan society. But yes, I do 
think of these journalists as my colleagues, and that’s why the dedication is 
to them. They showed tremendous integrity, suffered enormously themselves, were 
killed in great numbers, and saw their families killed as well.
We often talk about how foreign journalists cannot get into Gaza. As a foreign 
journalist, I want to go there and see things for myself. But that should not 
in any way diminish the amazing work these journalists did, under circumstances 
that I think were unprecedented. I have tremendous admiration for them. They 
did incredible work while they were portrayed as Hamas supporters and subjected 
to all kinds of smears. Part of the dedication is also a kind of indictment of 
many Western reporters who didn’t stand up for their colleagues, who went along 
with those smears, including some of the very organizations that employed, or 
had employed, those Palestinian journalists.
Elias Feroz
Chris also makes a very interesting point regarding Israel’s ban on foreign 
media, stating: “The assumption that if Western reporters were in Gaza, the 
coverage would improve, is risible. Trust me, it would not.” This directly 
challenges a deeply rooted, almost colonial bias in the West, which implies 
that Western reporting is inherently superior or more “objective” than the work 
of local Palestinian journalists. What is your own experience? Have you faced 
criticism or skepticism from mainstream editors or readers who questioned the 
credibility of your work simply because you center the raw testimonies of 
Palestinians sources?
Joe Sacco
I guess that is a typical charge: “Why are you focusing on Palestinian sources 
and what about the other side?” I respond by saying that I grew up with the 
other side, seeing everything through an Israeli filter.
Growing up in the United States in the 1970s and ’80s, the only voices I heard 
were Israeli voices and voices that supported Israel. So much so that I used to 
think of Palestinians simply as terrorists. Eventually I had to interrogate 
that notion. And I did that after I already had a journalism degree. I really 
had to interrogate the whole notion of journalism: American-style, 
“objective”-style journalism.
My first attempts to talk about the Palestinian situation were about getting 
Palestinian voices heard, because I simply didn’t see any at the time. And I am 
never going to apologize for approaching it the way I did, which was: let’s see 
what Palestinians have to say. I am not going to paint them as angels, but I 
want to hear what they have to say. And I think that still holds true. What is 
interesting now is that we have learned something about the Palestinian 
experience in many ways, in spite of the Western media. A lot of Palestinian 
voices have been coming through unfiltered on platforms like TikTok and other 
social media platforms, which is perhaps why they’re being bought up by people 
like Larry Ellison to silence that sort of thing.
Elias Feroz
What do you think is the fundamental difference between mainstream Western 
reporting and your own experiences on the ground? And why is the picture 
presented to the public so starkly different from the reality you encounter? Is 
it simply because they don’t want to show Palestinian perspectives, or is there 
another reason as well?
Joe Sacco
I think most Western reporters identify with Western interests. Ultimately, you 
are shaped by the culture you grow up in. That is true of anyone, anywhere. I 
think Western reporters often find it very difficult to step outside of that 
framework.
They see the US government and the American way of doing things as part of the 
broader Enlightenment project: something they believe in and subscribe to. And 
ultimately, they see the American way as the right way. That’s a somewhat 
fundamental, even simplistic, way of putting it, but I think that is generally 
what’s happening. I think the trap for journalists is that they see themselves 
as objective. They go to a place in the Middle East believing that they can be 
objective. The difference, in my case, is that I recognize that I cannot be 
objective. I am the product of my education.Most Western reporters. . . .  see 
the American way as the right way.
There are things I have learned, things I have to unlearn, and things I have 
learned that need to be challenged. So, as much as possible, I try to 
understand what the so-called other is going through and simply hear what they 
have to say. To me, it is not even about “giving them a voice.” I have always 
found that idea somewhat unhelpful. I think they already have a voice. The 
question is whether we have the ears to listen. That is what I have tried to 
do: listen and then put down on paper what I have heard.
Elias Feroz
In the book, Chris distinguishes between two kinds of war correspondents: There 
is a small minority that takes real risks to document the unvarnished reality 
on the ground, which almost always contradicts official narratives. But he also 
describes a mass of journalists who willingly sell staged military propaganda 
as news. Does this second group highlight the massive structural obstacles of 
mainstream journalism?
Joe Sacco
I think it probably does. And Chris has a better sense of this than I do 
because he was New York Times bureau chief in the Middle East and has also been 
a bureau chief in other parts of the world. So, he was very much part of that 
milieu and saw it up close.
I have met quite a few journalists, but because of what I do and the way I 
approach my work, I have never really spent time with that group in the same 
way. When I have met journalists, even those working for mainstream 
publications, I often feel that they know what’s going on. They are intelligent 
people. But I think they ultimately have to answer to their editors — the 
people pulling the strings in London and Washington — when it comes to what 
gets reported. And the editors, as well as the people who own the publishing 
companies that own the newspapers, have a particular line and point of view. I 
think journalists know how far they can go in telling people what’s really 
happening.
They often know that they have to get the other side, partly to sort of wash it 
out a little too. But I don’t feel like I have to play that game, and I know 
that Chris doesn’t.
Elias Feroz
As an independent comic journalist, you work outside this system. Do you 
believe that this gives you the ultimate advantage: the freedom to bypass these 
institutional shackles without having to consider the comfortable perceptions 
of others?
Joe Sacco
It does. But when I started out I wasn’t thinking this through. I just didn’t 
have any money. And when you don’t have any money, you have to find alternative 
ways to do your reporting. You often have to rent from people who live there. 
You’re not going to spend time in a hotel if your money is going to run out in 
five or six days. So you have to find other means of just being on the ground. 
And that puts you more into contact with people on the street. In some ways, 
the way I started out, without really thinking it through, just organically, 
shaped how I reported, because that’s what I was seeing.
It wasn’t my writ, or even my ability, because no one was going to speak to me 
if I was a cartoonist at the beginning. I wasn’t going to be speaking to 
politicians or generals. When I was first starting out, it was just all cafés, 
bars, living with or renting a room from someone. You get a different 
perspective when you’re not in that rarefied journalistic space, that more 
comfortable space.
Elias Feroz
Did you become interested in interviewing politicians or military figures later?
Joe Sacco
Later in my career, when I developed more self-confidence in what I was doing, 
I did start interviewing generals, colonels, and some politicians. But I never 
really developed a taste for that.I like hanging out with just ordinary people 
because, ultimately, I realize that what I am interested in is how the 
decisions made in the capitals of the world affect human beings.
I like hanging out with just ordinary people because, ultimately, I realize 
that what I am interested in is how the decisions made in the capitals of the 
world affect human beings. Because the decisions made even domestically here 
affect me personally. We are the people who are being run over by these 
decision-makers, their grand plans, and their desire to retain power. So, I 
have an affinity for that too. I feel that is my strength.
I don’t need to hang out with the powerful. I just wouldn’t be comfortable at 
this point. If you had caught me in my early twenties and given me a lot of 
access, maybe we wouldn’t be having this conversation. I cannot say that I’ve 
got some moral superiority in all this. I think, organically, it just worked 
out the way it worked out.
Elias Feroz
For your newest book, you and Chris interviewed Palestinians who managed to 
flee from Gaza to Egypt. Both of you know the region well and visited Gaza 
years ago: Chris back then as a New York Times correspondent, firmly rooted in 
traditional mainstream journalism, while you established your own way of 
journalism by drawing comics. How did these two contrasting worlds shape the 
collaboration on this book, and where did you find the strongest common ground?
Joe Sacco
Chris and I met in Bosnia, in the back of an armored jeep. I was a cartoonist, 
doing what I was doing, and he was the Times bureau chief in Sarajevo at the 
time, during the end of the Bosnian War. So that’s quite a gap on some level, 
but we just hit it off because we talked about books, basically, on this long, 
long drive to an eastern Bosnian town called Goražde. From that point on, we 
were friends. And then we started to collaborate. He had spent a lot of time in 
the Middle East and in Gaza.
At some point, we did an article for Harper’s Magazine where he was doing all 
the prose, and I was doing illustrations for it. Later, we did a book called 
Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt. That was also sort of a blending of how we 
do things, and we do the interviews together. In most circumstances, he takes 
the lead in the interviews, and then I will interject or ask things that I 
think he may have missed, which doesn’t happen often.
He has a lot of respect for what I do, and vice versa. So if there’s a story 
that particularly seems to fit well with my way of doing things, he says, “You 
should take this. This has got really great imagery.” With the Gaza book, there 
was one story where I thought, “I need to focus on this one.” And he told me 
right away to go ahead. We don’t step on each other’s toes. And even in 
constructing the book, he wrote, for instance, the end of one chapter to lead 
into my section. We’re not fussing with each other’s stuff either. It just 
works very organically.
Elias Feroz
Chris heavily criticizes the New York Times in the book for its coverage of 
Gaza. Given that it is his former employer, do you and Chris see any real 
improvement or structural shift in how mainstream institutions like the Times 
report on Gaza today, or do you find that the fundamental biases and editorial 
constraints have remained the same?
Joe Sacco
I think both things are sort of true. The fundamental biases have remained the 
same, but I think the genocide is so clear, and so many people see it, that the 
paper cannot ignore it, or they have to deal with it on some level.
It doesn’t mean the structural situation has changed. They are acknowledging 
some of the pain that the Palestinians are going through. That is my 
interpretation. Chris might have a different interpretation.
Elias Feroz
In the current political and media discourse surrounding Israel and Palestine, 
there is a fierce debate about historical context and when this conflict 
actually started. Mainstream narratives often hyperfocus on immediate events, 
treating past decades as if they have expired. In the book, there is a striking 
passage about how Lewis Lapham, the editor of Harper’s Magazine, cut your 
interviews with survivors of the 1956 massacres because he dismissed them as 
“irrelevant history.” You were furious and returned to Khan Yunis and Rafah, 
which culminated in your book Footnotes in Gaza. Looking back, how did that 
editorial rejection shape your understanding of how the mainstream uses the 
weapon of “irrelevance” to control the timeline of a conflict?
Joe Sacco
If you don’t understand the history, you don’t understand why things happen. 
Very little historically just comes out of a vacuum. There’s a continuum of 
events.
Sometimes a whole generation can be skipped, and then a thread is picked up 
again. In the case of Palestine, that’s really clear. You could go to, let’s 
just say, the 2000s. Two or three times, Israel came through and would “mow the 
grass,” as they euphemistically put it, killing hundreds, even thousands of 
people, with weeks-long campaigns of bombing. Clearly, people in Gaza have been 
contained, frustrated, oppressed, and controlled in every possible way.
Interestingly, despite all that, a vibrant society managed to develop there.
In that case, I wanted to focus on what happened in 1956 in the towns of Khan 
Yunis and Rafah. I don’t think of history as an irrelevance. I think of it as a 
foundational building block for where we are today. To understand the rage, the 
frustration, the anger, all that, you have to understand what’s happened to a 
people. That’s, of course, not to take anything away from what happened on 
October 7. I don’t. But you have to look at certain things.

During the Great March of Return in 2018–19, for instance, when Palestinians 
peacefully came up to the so-called security wall [built by Israel] and were 
gunned down. Over a period of months, a couple hundred were killed. Many were 
severely wounded. Israeli snipers were shooting people in the legs and knees, 
so there would have to be a lot of amputations. This sort of thing didn’t get 
much mainstream press. It drives me crazy when people like Thomas Friedman of 
the New York Times are asking, “Where is the Palestinian Gandhi?”
You are seeing people trying some peaceful way of getting the attention of the 
world, saying, “This containment of us as a people cannot go on. This 
oppression cannot go on,” but the Western world shrugs. So you have to 
understand all these things.
I will give you another example of something that I felt was very important 
that was cut from that Harper’s piece. We interviewed [Abdel Aziz] Al-Rantisi, 
one of the founders of Hamas. This was in Gaza City in 2000 or 2001. He was 
telling us about the massacre of 1956 in Khan Yunis and how his uncle had been 
killed, when he was a boy of eight or nine years old. He told us how he 
remembered the wailing. He felt like he was going to cry just thinking about 
what happened, and he said, “At that moment, they planted hatred in our 
hearts.” You must understand how one thing builds on the other. You cannot pull 
out the historical events.
Elias Feroz
For Requiem for Gaza, you and Chris interviewed twenty-nine families in Cairo 
who had just fled Gaza. How did the immediacy and freshness of their trauma 
affect your interviewing process compared to your historical research for 
Footnotes in Gaza? And how did you choose your interview partners?
Joe Sacco
A few weeks before we went for our current book, we were thinking: Who are we 
going to interview? How are we going to do this? We had a translator named 
Ruba, and she helped manage who we were going to interview. You make a contact, 
and they talk to you. And then that person tells you there is someone else. 
Again, it organized itself organically.
Some people are afraid to talk, but a lot of people want to talk. The 
difference is that when you are talking about something that happened fifty 
years ago, of course, memories have begun to fade. People still remember 
certain very striking things quite well. There was that element of having to 
contend with many different historical episodes, competing with one another in 
people’s minds. When I was doing the book about 1956 and interviewing people in 
Gaza, I was also sometimes asked, “Why don’t you talk about what’s going on now?
With the current book, on the other hand, the memories of our interview 
partners are very fresh. A lot of the people we talked to still had family 
members in Gaza. They had their phones on the table because they would get 
phone calls from their relatives — waiting for some news. Always anticipating 
and worried about their loved ones. You could tell they were really feeling 
anguish that others had been left behind.
Elias Feroz
There is a pervasive argument in Western political discourse suggesting that 
neighboring Arab countries should simply absorb the population of Gaza to solve 
the humanitarian crisis. Your book completely dismantles this misconception. 
The families who managed to flee to Egypt have no legal status, no right to 
work, no health insurance, and their children are barred from schools: they are 
given no future at all. When you were in Cairo, did you also speak with the 
refugees about their views on these so-called solutions?
Joe Sacco
I don’t remember asking that specific question, but you’re right. People were 
in a great limbo in Egypt. It was extremely uncomfortable. They weren’t being 
bombed. They weren’t starving in that way. But a lot of people were running out 
of money. And when you run out of money, you tend to do things that you 
wouldn’t normally do otherwise.
That discourse about absorbing the Palestinians, I’m sure we’re going to hear a 
lot more about that in the future, because at this point, I’m not sure I see 
Gaza being rebuilt. It would take a big change of politics — US politics and 
Israeli politics — to allow the rebuilding of Gaza. I’m not sure what’s going 
to happen to people there.
I have looked at other conflicts, massacres, and genocides, but rarely have I 
seen a situation in which the West is so directly entangled in what is 
happening.A lot of people in Gaza would probably say, “Just get me out of 
this.” After the genocide, after living in tents, living with snakes and 
diseases and under starvation or near-starvation conditions for that long, you 
just want to keep your children safe. I think it might as well be the plan to 
make the people leave Gaza “voluntarily.” In other words, this would be ethnic 
cleansing, for sure.
I know that Egypt is very resistant to absorbing Palestinians. They have 
absorbed a lot already as far as they are concerned. But you can imagine some 
arrangement being made, just as Donald Trump has gotten countries like El 
Salvador to take Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainees from other 
countries or is getting Liberia to take people. You could imagine similar 
arrangements being made with other states. Who knows what they might try to 
work out?
Elias Feroz
Your career and your identity as a pioneer of comic journalism are deeply 
intertwined with Palestine. You walked the streets of Gaza decades ago for your 
books, and now, the Gaza you once knew, along with many of the places and 
perhaps even some of the people you drew, literally no longer exists. Looking 
back, how deeply has Palestine shaped you, not just as a journalist, but as a 
human being? And what does it mean to you, emotionally, to know that your books 
have now transformed from contemporary reportage into a vital, tragic archive 
of a world that has been physically erased?
Joe Sacco
Palestine transformed me from the beginning. I would have been happy to move on 
from the issue if, for example, the Oslo Accords had developed into a two-state 
solution that, while perhaps not particularly fair, was at least workable and 
acceptable to the people involved. In that case, I probably would have moved on.
But to me, the issue remains significant because the West is deeply implicated. 
I have looked at other conflicts, massacres, and genocides, but rarely have I 
seen a situation in which the West is so directly entangled in what is 
happening. In the case of Palestine, the United States has supported Israel’s 
policies for decades, after the Six-Day War, when the United States essentially 
came to see Israel as part of a greater imperial project. The situation has 
deteriorated over time, particularly with the genocide. Our involvement goes 
far beyond simply providing weapons and diplomatic cover. We have essentially 
abandoned many of the principles and institutions we built up after World War 
II to allow this to continue. The International Criminal Court, the United 
Nations, and all these institutions were created to prevent something like this 
from happening, or at least to mitigate it in some way. Seeing them fail so 
completely has been very difficult. For me, it is also a fundamental moral 
issue. If you cannot acknowledge that a genocide is taking place, then I 
honestly don’t know what to say.
But you’re right: my work has entered the realm of the archive in some sense. 
And there is a great sadness in that, because you realize that the streets I 
walked, the people I met, an entire society and an entire way of life are being 
erased before our eyes. That should be something profound for any civilized 
person — or for anyone who considers themselves civilized — to reflect on. So 
yes, it has affected me. Obviously, I’m more deeply connected to this issue 
than most people. I have spent a large part of my career thinking about it and 
drawing it. It is not easy to watch what is happening from this perspective.
I have wanted to move away from journalism for a while. I wanted to pursue 
other creative work. I felt that, in some ways, I have done enough. But then 
Gaza happened, and you have to put your journalistic pants back on and get back 
to work, because this is a profound moral issue. I feel an obligation to think 
about it and report on it. Maybe I can do that, to some extent, better than 
other people in the West simply because I have the experience, just as Chris 
does. I am sure he feels the same way. It’s not that I am eager to return to 
it. It’s that I feel an obligation to do so. It’s a duty.
Elias Feroz
Are you currently working on another project in this direction?
Joe Sacco
I am working on something that goes back to some of my old underground comics 
days. It is still looking at some of the same issues I have been interested in 
all my life, but I am approaching them in a completely different way, not as 
journalism. Basically, I’m taking some of the things I’ve been thinking about 
while doing journalism that I couldn’t really express through journalism 
because they’re more a matter of gut feeling. When you’re doing journalism, 
you’re focused on the facts, on getting the story right, and all that sort of 
thing. But you also think deeply about human nature and other things that don’t 
necessarily fit into a journalistic framework. Now I’m turning to some of those 
ideas that I couldn’t report on directly. It’s more like an essay, with 
elements of dark humor and satire.
Joe Sacco is a cartoonist and journalist.
Elias Feroz is a freelance writer. Among other things, his focuses include 
racism, antisemitism, and Islamophobia, as well as the politics and culture of 
remembrance.


-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Groups.io Links: You receive all messages sent to this group.
View/Reply Online (#43362): https://groups.io/g/marxmail/message/43362
Mute This Topic: https://groups.io/mt/121175583/21656
-=-=-
POSTING RULES & NOTES
#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
#4 Do not exceed five posts a day.
-=-=-
Group Owner: [email protected]
Unsubscribe: https://groups.io/g/marxmail/leave/13617172/21656/1316126222/xyzzy 
[[email protected]]
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-


Reply via email to