Hello,
I am having a strange problem.  I have a small network setup at home and
am using a 486 running Redhat 6.0 with the included Redhat kernel
(2.2.5-15) to provide internet access to the network. All client (behind 
the gateway) ip addresses are assigned staticly. The 486 serves as a dial
up gateway to the internet and shares internet access using ip
masquerading.  This works great, but there is just one glitch.  It seems
that every 15 minutes or so masquerading just stops 

None of the machines behind the 486 can access the internet until I use
the 486 to access the internet again.  My client machines consist of
both Linux and win95 boxes.  Here is the exact process I use to
remedy the situation.

1. Client internet access stops
2. From the 486 console I ping an outside ip (using dns name)
3. The first ping does not resolve the ip address 
4. I kill it, then ping again, this ping however DOES resolve the ip
5. Client machines begin to work again.

I have also tried accessing the internet using lynx from the 486 and this
seems to solve the problem as well.  So I believe that pretty much any
internet access from the 486 will re enable ip masq.

My ppp connection is up through out the entire scenario, so I do not think
it is a dialup problem. (Of course I would also be hearing the modem if it
was dialing, and there would be logs too)

Could this be a masq port timeout problem?  

Also I don't think that I am reaching the 4096 masq port limit. I don't
have that much traffic and when I run netstat -M I usually see from 10 to
50 ports in use.

FYI
I do load the following modules:
ip_masq_ftp
ip_masq_raudio
ip_masq_quake
ip_masq_irc

My next step will most likely be to compile a new kernel and see if it
resolves the problem, but I rather find out what is really going on and
fix the problem with the current kernel.

If anyone has any information or ideas regarding this problem please let
me know. 

Any help would be most appreciated.   

Thank You,
Brad Snow



          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
           Bradford J. Snow                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  
                                              WPI CS/EE '01
                   Vice President of WPI Chapter of ACM
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://tiffany.indyramp.com/mailman/listinfo/masq
Admin requests can be handled by web (above) or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to