Masq&Diald: When 'initial' traffic that brings up link is UDP kernel DOES
not masq - it merely forwards...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently helped a friend out who used a modem to access the net. They
recently picked up a second machine for their kid and as such wanted a
LAN. I of course recognized the situation (since it was mine a few years
ago!) and offered to not only help setup a LAN, yet add a firewall so that
BOTH of the computers could access the LAN - and to boot that this magical
firewall could automatically detect when you wanted to get on the
Internet and dial up for you. They of course loved the idea and that is
what I spent the good part of last week and this last weekend doing.

Now the problem - of course the Masq stuff was easy since I merely cloned
most of my rules. In addition the diald stuff was easy since all I had
to do was modify the 'connect' chat script. And of course when I tested it
from the firewall it worked great! If I pinged a host the link would come
up and the Masquerading worked great!

Now the bad news, when I tried it from one of the Win95 hosts it didn't
work so great. When the 'initial' traffic that caused diald to get ppp up
was UDP (say an initial DNS lookup for a web site, or for a
Starcraft-battlenet connection) Masquerading did not occur - the kernel
merely forward the packets out! Take a look at a snapshot of the following
kernel logs (W.X.Y.Z is the address of the Win95 host, A.B.C.D and E.F.G.H
are addresses of DNS hosts) where DNS packets where not properly
Masqueraded, instead they were merely forwarded.

Now Masquerading did work for all packet types from the firewall machine.
In addition this whole scenario worked for me nearly two years ago when I
did not have my static IP as I do today, and I never saw this type of
problem. 

I checked the How-to and FAQs (BTW the masq mailing list archives are NOT
searchable - this would be a real time saver). When scanning the diald FAQ
(http://www.loonie.net/~eschenk/diald/diald-faq-6.html#ss6.11) it says
that TCP connections are not to be used 'to bring up the link' yet UDP are
(it has to with not being able to change the address of a TCP connection),
therefore this problem seems to be the inverse?!?! 

Anyone have an idea?


Jun 19 20:12:32 router kernel: IP fw-out deny ppp0 UDP W.X.Y.Z:61232 A.B.C.D:53 L=65 
S=0x00 I=4096 F=0x0000 T=31
Jun 19 20:12:47 router kernel: IP fw-out deny ppp0 UDP W.X.Y.Z:61233 E.F.G.H:53 L=65 
S=0x00 I=4352 F=0x0000 T=31
Jun 19 20:13:02 router kernel: IP fw-out deny ppp0 UDP W.X.Y.Z:61232 A.B.C.D:53 L=65 
S=0x00 I=4608 F=0x0000 T=31
Jun 19 20:13:22 router kernel: IP fw-out deny ppp0 UDP W.X.Y.Z:61233 E.F.G.H:53 L=65 
S=0x00 I=4864 F=0x0000 T=31


Here are my masquerading rules:

ipfwadm -F -f
ipfwadm -F -p deny

echo "masquerade-forwarding from $PRIVATE_NET"
ipfwadm -F -a accept -m -W $PUBLIC_INT -S $PRIVATE_NET

echo "masquerade-forwarding on $DIALD_INT from $PRIVATE_NET"
ipfwadm -F -a accept -m -W $DIALD_INT -S $PRIVATE_NET

ipfwadm -F -a deny -o


--

============ Geek Technology at its best: http://nuked.org ===============
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Rod Moffitt  ICQ# 6696644    Linux: multi-platform, multi-tasking,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                multi-user, fast & free! http://www.linux.org
PGP RSA KeyID 570A0731       Protect your privacy!     http://www.pgpi.com
http://rodmoffitt.org        Net, s/w & h/w consulting: http://vissitt.com
..........................................................................
========= Where loved ones are remembered: http://memoriam.org ===========

         Last yeer I kudn't spel Engineer.  Now I are won.





-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-diald" in
the body of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to