/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
> I using ip masq working with ipchains, and I am dialing into work and the
> connection is working fine. I have a (loathed) NT workstation that was
> given to me to be able to work at home (since I don't have NT anywhere in
> my house) and it is set up to log into the domain at work. It is locked
> down, so I need it to talk to the PDC/BDC across my masq in order even
> just log into the machine.
>
> I can see that UDP packets are sent from the machine to my masquerade box,
> but nothing ever comes back. Do I just forward some ports? Which ones do
> I forward if I do?
Ports 137-139, UDP and TCP.
However, this creates a security hole, for stuff like Ping of Death...
Also, you can not browse the Network Neighborhood, although you can map drives
just fine.
I am in the same situation as you, but I use PPTP to dial into the NT domain.
All that is required on the server side is a PPTP server that is NOT a domain
controller, so you need the cooperation of the domain admin.
On your own NT box, you need to install the PPTP network protocol. Of course,
you need local admin rights for that.
Finally, you need the PPTP patch for the Linux kernel. I am using the 2.2.9
patch from John Hardin at
ftp://ftp.rubyriver.com/pub/jhardin/masquerade/ip_masq_vpn.html, which works
pretty good (except for a minor bug that I came across).
Maybe you can convince your domain admin that you should use PPTP for more
security.
Good luck.
-Joe
--
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Joachim Feise Ph.D. Student, Information & Computer Science
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.ics.uci.edu/~jfeise/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
As a computer, I find your faith in technology amusing.
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/