/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
Todd, Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Linux firewall: ... and _ALL_ services disabled (telnet, ftp, r
> services, who, finger, etc.) except for Apache 1.3.6 with Jserv (no
> cgi stuff, though),
Actually, you can enable those services, if you take great care to
disallow connections from the outside world, using ipchains firewall
rules. But that's another topic.
> I would like to be able to share files and a printer between the two
> windows boxes. From what I've read, this sounds like a job for Samba.
Yes, in fact, your masq firewall shouldn't even get involved, unless
there are files on your masq box that you want to share, too. You would
definitely want to make sure that Samba only uses the internal NIC
interfaces, in such a case. Check the "interfaces = " section in the
smb.conf(5) man page.
> 1) If I have configured my firewall correctly/securely, can I forgo
> Samba and just enable file and print sharing on the Windows boxes?
> How secure is this?
Windows boxes generally only talk to each other on the same subnet. As
long as your network is physically separated (which it sounds like it
is), then your Windows (and Samba) boxes would need assistance in order
to be less secure. You should be safe. I'd firewall ports 137-139
anyway, just 'cause. :)
> 2) How secure would it be to run the Samba server on the Linux
> firewall box? Wouldn't running Samba expose port 139 for possible
> attacks? Can this be easily secured by IPChains (say by creating a
> rule to deny all requests to port 139 not coming from the internal
> network)?
I currently run Samba on my firewall, and I feel rather secure, because
I have it assigned to only run on a particular interface, and I have the
netbios ports (137-139, tcp and udp) firewalled away. If there's
something more I need to do, I'm not sure of it..
> 3) (This probably isn't directly related to Samba or IPMasq, but is
> relevant to my file sharing needs) Is it possible to set up the
> partitions on my dual boot box so that all partitions are always
> visible, regardless of which OS happens to be booted at the time?
All you would need to do is to make sure that the same data has the same
"share name" regardless of which OS is booted. The share name can be
controlled in the sharing dialog in Windows, and from the smb.conf file
in Samba. Your biggest problem is going to be making the data on
different filesystems available for sharing in the other OS. Linux has
no problem reading VFAT/FAT32 filesystems, but as far as I know, Win98
has no ability to read ext2 (Linux) filesystems. You won't have access
to any of that data in Windows, so you can't share it out. If you have
data you want to be available to both OS's, make sure it's a VFAT
filesystem.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fuzzy Fox) || "Good judgment comes from experience.
sometimes known as David DeSimone || Experience comes from bad judgment."
http://www.dallas.net/~fox/ || -- Life Lessons
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.