/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
I upgraded my win95 workstation to 98/second-edition, with no
network problems. The machine did slow down and get flakier, but
all my internet-type apps continue to run.
I'm using static ip, and I have both Novell and Microsoft networking
running. IPX runs, as well as IP. In the properties of IP, I specify
the gateway and dns; I'm not using wins. I did check the "make
this the default" checkbox, though everything I use knows which
protocol to use, regardless.
I've seen other flakiness with 98 networking at client sites, but
haven't yet pinned it down. The only other thing to suggest at this
time, is to uninstall and reinstall all the network components.
Oh, it just occurred to me -- either change the network card to
something different from what you've got there now, or look for new
drivers for your current card. I've seen some bad drivers shipping
with win98.
Good luck -- give us some more details, and maybe there will be
some more ideas.
Charlie Shoemaker
Date sent: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:19:08 -0800
From: Bill Schoolcraft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Send reply to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Organization: Running TurboLinux 3.6 >>> Kernel 2.2.9
Subject: [Masq] Linux and Win98 (second edition)
> /* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
>
>
> Hello,
>
> After working with Linux here on my LAN, and it taking no longer that
> one try at adding on a box to the network, along comes WIN-98 2nd
> edition. I cannot seem to get it to even ping the main box, NEVER have I
> had this problem with the multiple win95 boxes I've added before to this
> masq'd LAN.
>
> I know the harware is fine for it's dual boot machine with Linux on the
> other half of the drive and it works great, same IP address and all. Is
> there an option I'm missing in 98 that 95 doesn't need ?
>
> This is my wifes machine and she has stuff from work to do on it. You
> all know the reasons we keep a windows box on our LAN. I'm about to
> reinstall WIN-95b if there is no solution to this, but I'd hate to
> surrender to defeat.
> --
>
>
> " semper avarus eget "
>
> Linuxcare, At the center of Linux.
> http://www.linuxcare.com
>
> Bill Schoolcraft http://www.wiliweld.com
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
>UNSUBSCRIBING!
> or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
> You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
> Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.