/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


Where does the Mac get its mail from?  The MASQ server or
some POP/IMAP server on the Inet?  

If its internal, look for cabling problems.  Look at the
errors shown in "ifconfig".

If its external, look for possible errors like above or
it could be a problem with your cable or DSL connection.
To be honest, this sounds like either a DNS or priority
issue.

A note on the priority issue, if you keep a ping running
from your Linux box to your default gateway at @Home, 
does mail work reliably now?  If so, I recommend to impliment
a rc.local task that pings the default gw every 20-30 seconds.

--David


>My masqueraded server has been working perfectly, with squid performing
>proxying, and my box sharing my cable modem connection with several
>computers. I went on holiday, and when I returned one of my masq'd
>machines - a Power Mac - began experiencing a weird e-mail problem. I
>found that Netscape 4.7 would hang up on trying to download mail
>automatically. I checked name servers, checked my rules, fiddled with
>everything, and could not find out what was causing this. I now have the
>automatic downloading of mail turned off; when I manually click "Get
>Msg" it goes nowhere the first time; I click cancel and do it again, and
>I get my mail. Note, this does not happen on a masq'd PC running
>Netscape 4.7. Also, I can ping outside sites, surf the web, and do
>generally everything you'd expect.  I set up Outlook Express on the Mac
>as a comparison; similar problem occurs. On the masq'ing server, the
>message in syslog that appears when this happens is
>
>kernel: MASQ: failed TCP/UDP checksum from 24.9.0.25
>
>Does anyone have any idea what is going on? I suspect that @Home has
>been fiddling about with things because I didn't have this problem until
>this week. The only other thing that is going on is that when I click on
>a newsgroup in Netscape, I sometimes have to click 'stop' and reselect
>it to be able to read the messages.

.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|  David A. Ranch - Linux/Networking/PC hardware         [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
!----                                                                    ----!
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to