/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


on 12/15/99 11:16 AM, Andres Corrada at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Glenn L. Austin" wrote:
>> 
>> You don't specify which version of the Mac OS you are running, but since you
>> are running on a PowerMac 7100, I'm going to assume that you're using Open
>> Transport.  You should probably be running at least Mac OS 8.1, as earlier
>> versions of Open Transport aren't as well integrated into the OS.
>> 
> 
> Thanks, Glenn for your tips. I'm actually running Mac OS 7.6 and I have
> MacTCP. I did set-up the nameserver to my ISP's IP address and the
> gateway to my internal masquerading Linux box but I'm still having no
> luck. I think I'm going to go the proxy route (Netscape + SOCKS) since
> masquerading does not seem to work for this.

Dump MacTCP -- it is probably most of the problem.  Switch over to using
Open Transport.  For one thing, MacTCP did a large subset of TCP/IP, but not
the whole thing.  For another, the dynamic IP addressing model for MacTCP is
BootP, not DHCP.

I *believe* that the version of Open Transport in 8.1 can be installed in
7.6.  In either case, I've successfully used 7.6 on a IIci with Open
Transport via Linux masquerading.  I never tried MacTCP, because Open
Transport is much better.

-- 
// Glenn L. Austin                     | NT is MS shifted right by one.
// Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver | Shifting right by one in most cases
// mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      | makes things smaller and less
// http://www.austin-home.com/glenn/   | significant, not bigger and better.

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to