/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


Actually I dont think its your firewall setup. Really you dont have a
firewall with policy to accept everything.

I'm confused as to where the machines are with reference to each other. The
"remote client (Win98)" that you are talking about, is it on your private
net or is it somewhere out on the internet? (not that it matters.) Also the
machine that you are trying to open the xterm from, is it the same machine
as the firewall?

I'm not sure what X-Win32 is but I take its a X-Server for windoze.

Just the fact that you are getting a password prompt tells me that the
client and server are talking to each other. Your problem may be elsewhere.

Shahid

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf
Of Carl Engstrom
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2000 1:33 AM
To: IP Masquerading Indyramp (E-mail)
Subject: [Masq] (no subject)


/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


Hi all.

I'm trying to connect to my server from a remote client (Win98) using
X-Win32.  When I try to connect I get a "Permission Denied" message.  I'm
pretty new to the whole unix thing, but I fear that my IP chains firewall is
denying the packets...but what do I know?

Here's the stats.  I'm running Linux 6.1 on a K6-2 400 box with two
interfaces;

x.x.x.16 --> my public address eth0 (hooked to cable modem)
192.168.100.1 --> my internal address eth1 (hooked to hub and peripherals)

my ip firewall looks like this...(pretty weak I know, haven't had time to
beef it up)

echo "setting policies for Chains Firewall"
/sbin/ipchains -P input ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -P output ACCEPT
/sbin/ipchains -P forward REJECT

echo "flushing any old ruleset"
/sbin/ipchains -F input
/sbin/ipchains -F output
/sbin/ipchains -F forward

echo "extending timeouts...."

/sbin/ipchains -M -S 7200 10 60

echo "enabling IP MASQ..."
####
#IP CHAINS
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.100.0/24 -j MASQ

my client is on the internal network, and I have full access to the server.

ONE CLUE...In X-Win32 I setup a login name, but I'm never prompted for
password. I use the command
/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -ls -n demo -display $DISPLAY (This is probably wrong)
In the session setup file.  The strange thing is I get denied
immediately...I get promted for username, but when I hit ok it just denies
me.
TWO CLUE...I checked my security logs and I noticed that the log shows:

Jan 15 22:13:59 cx274126-a in.rshd[19012]: connect from 192.168.100.2

Notice that I'm not rejected here...????

I read the help for x-win32 but it was no help...
I would read the man pages, but I don't know which ones...:-)

I think I'm missing something simple, like a firewall setting or a .conf
line somewhere.

Any help, as always is appreciated.

Carl Engstrom
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS
INCLUDES UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to