/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


After a little asking around (thanks to some pointed questions by David
Ranch at the Trinity OS forum), I solved my slow RH 6.1 MASQ system.  My
home network configuration is a K6-133 linux box connected to COX@HOME
cablemodem (eth0) MASQing to a workgroup hub (eth1) over to Win95 & Win98
machines.  The linux box could FTP and web-browse at up to 300kbps, but the
Win boxes were only getting 80-90kbps.  When connected directly to the
cablemodem, the Windows machines would get 300kbps.

I had a couple configuration problems, with one or more of them causing the
slowdown.  First, I upgraded the kernel to 2.2.14, since www.kernel.org
listed "MASQ bug fixes" as one of the updates.  This didn't help any, so I
continued searching.  I updated several things at once, and on the next
reboot, it all worked OK.  Here's the old configuration vs new config:

DLink DE-220 ISA combo card as eth0 (external interface)
        Full duplex changed to half duplex (saw it on D. Ranch's forum)
        IRQ10 remained the same
DLink DE-220 ISA ...as eth1 (internal interface)
        Full duplex changed to half duplex
        IRQ3 changed to IRQ12 (eliminated the possible conflict with COM2 port)
Internal newtwork addresses
        192.168.1.x changed to 192.168.0.x - although 192.168.1.x is a valid
class-c, I was getting some odd pings so I changed it.

So...somewhere along the way, I stumbled on the right changes to make my
MASQ run at full speed.

Steve Kram
[EMAIL PROTECTED]


> -----Original Message-----
> From: Nick Papadonis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2000 7:46 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject:
>
>
> IM HAVING THIS 'SAME' PROBLEM. Did you figure out what was wrong??
> Thanks
>
>
> - Nick
>
>
>
> I'm having a hard time figuring out why my masq'd network is running slow.
> Here's the configuration:
>
> Cox@Home cable-modem =>
> DLINK DE220P 10mb 10baseT NIC (NE2000) on eth0 =>
> K6-166 w/16mb running Redhat 6.2 =>
> DLink DE220P 10mb 10baseT on eth1 =>
> 10mb 8-port 10baseT hub =>
> 10/100 combo card =>
> Win98 box
>
> I can download content directly into the Linux box at almost 300kbps, but
> when I try that same content into Windoze, it barely makes 100kbps.  After
> searching through the mailing list, I can't find any MASQ tuning advice.
> I've installed the Trinity strong firewall and IPCHAINS, and also
> tried the
> example IPCHAIN setup in the IP MASQ HowTo.  Monitoring iptraf doesn't
> indicate any large collission problem.  Right now, I'm at a loss
> at where to
> look next.  Can anyone offer suggestions on what to check?  Thanks.
>
> Steve Kram
>
> - Nick Papadonis
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to