/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
I am a relative newbie with Linux and IP MASQ, and I have been placed in
charge of a unique
system configuration that has an interesting bug. Let me explain the system
first:
I have three boxes: 2 running linux (RedHat 5.2 & RedHat 6.1) and 1
Winblows98.
My internet connection is through a DSL Router/Modem.
the machines are connected like so:
Win98->RH5.2->RH6.1->DSL Router
The Win98 machine has a local ip addr on the 192.168.40.x subnet.
The RH5 machine has eth0 with a 192.168.40.x addr and eth1 with 192.168.50.x
The RH6 machine has eth1 with a 192.168.50.X addr and eth0 with 192.168.30.x
The DSL Router has an ip addr of 192.168.30.1
so the system looks like this:
_________ _________ _________ __________
| Win98 | | RH5.2 | | RH6.1 | |LAN Router|
| | | | | | | |
| | | 50.2|---|50.3 | | |
| 40.2|---|40.3 | | 30.2|---|30.1 |
|_________| |_________| |_________| |__________|
I know this is not a typical configuration, but it cannot be changed.
Keeping this in mind there
are a few other configurations to note: the MTU for the link between RH5.2
and RH6.1 can be no
larger than 1400; the RH6.1 machine is running IP MASQ for the Win98 and
RH5.2 machines behind it;
ip_masq_ftp module is loaded on RH6.1.
Routing table configurations (using iproute2)
RH6.1:
192.168.50.0/24 dev eth1
192.168.40.0/24 via 192.168.50.2
192.168.30.0/24 dev eth0
default via 192.168.30.1
RH5.2:
192.168.50.0/24 dev eth1
192.168.40.0/24 dev eth0
default via 192.168.50.3
Win98:
Gateway 192.168.40.3
IPChains Configuration in rc.local on RH6.1:
#Base ipchains config
ipchains -M -S 7200 10 160
ipchains -P forward DENY
#Enable forwarding for the two subnets
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.50.0/24 -j MASQ
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.40.0/24 -j MASQ
#Allow subnets to talk to eachother
#I don't honestly know why this is here, I have been assured that it must
ipchains -A forward -i eth1 -d 192.168.50.0/30
ipchains -A forward -i eth1 -d 192.168.40.0/30
#Allow subnets to reach the internet
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -i eth0 -s 192.168.50.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -i eth0 -s 192.168.40.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
OK, here is the problem. Using either the RH5.2 or RH6.1 machine to use
FTP, WWW, etc. works
just fine. However, if I try to use the Winblows98 machine it will choke
when attempting to
download large ftp files or use the WWW (again usually on larger files like
banner ads).
This hang up occurs before file transfer actually begins so I don't think it
is
a problem with the control connection timing out. Also I am able to ping
and telnet just fine
from the Winblows98 machine to the outside world, the problem only occurs
with large file
transfers. Any suggestions? Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.
Andreas M. Camacho
Software Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(707)792-5390 X15
[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type image/png which had a name of image001.png]
[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
image002.jpg]
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.