/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */ Thanks I got it, (Mandrake 7.02) and quess what? Exact same problem.... This is sooo frustrating. I can do all of the "testing" successfully up to the point where I have to do something more than pinging to the internet. I can't browse static IPs (Netscape hangs at "host contacted, waiting for reply"), I can't ping hostnames (dns lookup fails, either w/ Windows looking to the Linux box for dns or to the IPS's dns servers), and I can't telnet to static IP's (I get a login and password prompt, get to "last login was..." but never get a UNIX prompt, or get a prompt then no response). Obviously, I can't browse or telnet to hostnames, because dns doesn't work, and they didn't work w/ static IPs anyway. I can do anything from the Linux box, so I am almost positive that its connection to net is set up correctly. Here are the details of the setup: $ipchains -L Chain input (policy ACCEPT): Chain forward (policy DENY): target prot opt source destination ports MASQ all ------ 192.168.0.2 anywhere n/a Chain output (policy ACCEPT): $ifconfig eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:33:A2:D3:53 inet addr:24.30.116.38 Bcast:24.30.119.255 Mask:255.255.252.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:12825 errors:5753 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:602 errors:122 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:244 collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 Interrupt:11 Base address:0x6000 eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:A0:CC:67:EB:C8 inet addr:192.168.0.1 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:763 errors:5607 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:381 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 Interrupt:9 Base address:0x6100 lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0 UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3924 Metric:1 RX packets:127 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:127 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 $route -n Kernel IP routing table Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 eth1 24.30.116.38 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 eth0 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1 24.30.116.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.252.0 U 0 0 0 eth0 127.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo 0.0.0.0 24.30.116.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0 After attempting failed operations from the MASQ'd computer (things w/ dns lookup, http, telnet, etc), I get the following: $ipchains -M -L IP masquerading entries prot expire source destination ports TCP 14:02.17 192.168.0.2 207.46.130.45 1037 (61036) -> www UDP 04:56.00 192.168.0.2 lsray01.we.mediaone.net 1041 (61040) -> domain TCP 14:47.81 192.168.0.2 cegt201.bradley.edu 1039 (61038) -> telnet UDP 03:25.26 192.168.0.2 lsray01.we.mediaone.net 1033 (61031) -> domain UDP 03:08.10 192.168.0.2 lsray01.we.mediaone.net 1032 (61030) -> domain UDP 04:41.44 192.168.0.2 lsray01.we.mediaone.net 1040 (61039) -> domain UDP 04:22.43 192.168.0.2 lsray01.we.mediaone.net 1038 (61037) -> domain UDP 04:03.37 192.168.0.2 lsray01.we.mediaone.net 1036 (61035) -> domain UDP 04:03.40 192.168.0.2 clnms01.we.mediaone.net netbios-ns (61034) -> domain UDP 03:44.31 192.168.0.2 lsray01.we.mediaone.net 1035 (61033) -> domain UDP 03:27.12 192.168.0.2 lsray01.we.mediaone.net 1034 (61032) -> domain $ipchains -L -v Chain input (policy ACCEPT: 2458 packets, 234936 bytes): Chain forward (policy DENY: 0 packets, 0 bytes): pkts bytes target prot opt tosa tosx ifname mark outsize source destination ports 372 21565 MASQ all ------ 0xFF 0x00 any 192.168.0.2 anywhere n/a Chain output (policy ACCEPT: 1131 packets, 106072 bytes): Which seems to indicate that MASQ is set up properly and that timouts are not an issue (no packets were denied for forwarding). Someone alse had suggested the packet fragmentation might be the problem. I have noticed that for the 2.2.14 kernel, IP_ALWAYS_DEFRAGMENT is no longer a configuration options. I have noticed that /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defragment exists, but $cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defragment reports a number that seems to incement w/ MASQ activity. I tried setting it to "1" by doing: $echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_always_defragment But that didn't seem to fix it. (I even saw it have a value of -1 once, that was really weird.) Does the Winblows settings for "hostname" and "domain" in the DNS tab of TCP/IP setup matter? I have tried using both the ISP's domain and my "internal" domain "schmanski.net" (which is in /etc/networks for 192.168.0.0). I have tried the domain "bschmans" (which is what I use as the hostname when I connect my Winblows machine directly to the cable modem) and "enterprise" which is what I have in /etc/hosts for 192.168.0.2. Also, I noticed you said *not* to define a default gateway (using Linuxconf), but when I do that, I can't even ping static IPs on the internet (Windows ping reports "no route to host")... Any ideas? Thanks, Bob Schmanski > "Jose M. Sanchez" wrote: > > > > > Do yourself a favor. > > > > Grab Mandrake for 2.00 and install it instead. > > If you have a CD-ROM burner you can even download the more recent 7.02 > version instead. > > It's sooo easy to set up for Cable modems. > > Most of the setup is prompted and interactive. > > -JMS > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] _______________________________________________ Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED] Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES UNSUBSCRIBING! or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting. You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.
