/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


Hi,

We've been required by management to use WindowsMedia.

I've never had problems opening firewall holes in the past, but I do recall how we did 
have to install the loadable module ip_masq_raudio to get RealMedia streaming to work.

I can't seem to receive streaming udp/tcp WindowsMedia traffic on port 1755.

Is there some sort of installable module I'll need to use to get it work properly?

Here is the command that opens my (TCP only) hole for RealServer.  This, plus the 
loadable module, allows us to use RealMedia streaming.

$FW -I -a accept -b -P tcp \
    -S $ANYWHERE 4621 \
    -D $IFEXTERN $UNPRIVPORTS

Here are the commands I've tried unsuccessfully to open streaming holes for 
WindowsMedia on port 1755 (udp and tcp):

$FW -I -a accept -b -P udp \
    -S $ANYWHERE 1755 \
    -D $IFEXTERN $UNPRIVPORTS
$FW -I -a accept -b -P tcp \
    -S $ANYWHERE 1755 \
    -D $IFEXTERN $UNPRIVPORTS

(note: I'm using 2.0.32 and so $FW = ipfwadm, not ipchains)

Curiously, the symptom is very similar to the symptoms that appear when QuickTime 
streaming is blocked by the firewall -- i.e. the connection seems to handshake OK, but 
then no video ever appears.  (I realize I need to patch my kernel to get QT working -- 
that's another issue though!)

Incidentally: note that WindowsMedia has a built-in mechanism where it can "back off" 
to request the same file via HTTP from a server when the mms:// connection fails -- 
what happens to us is that this backoff always occurs.  What I really want is for 
proper streaming to work.

Anyone out there been able to get WindowsMedia streaming through their firewall?  Are 
you _sure_ it's working and not just backing off to use http instead?

Couldn't find anything about this in the masq archives.

Thanks in advance for pointers.

-chris

------------------------------------------------------------------------
870 Market Street #1270                           (415) 394-9818
San Francisco, CA 94102                           (413) 473-0853 fax
------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to