/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


"@home-engstrom" wrote:
> 
> /* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
> 
> I'm attempting to load the h323 module on my RedHat 6.1 system with kernel
> 2.2.12 and I've run into a few issues.
> 
> First, I noticed on the Coritel web site that the install instructions say
> to change the Makefile to read
> 
> M_OBJS += ip_masq_ftp.o ip_masq_irc.o ip_masq_raudio.o ip_masq_quake.o
> ip_masq_h3231.o
> 
> But the source module is called ip_masq_h323.c, I followed instructions, but
> I'm wondering if this was a typo?

No. This is the list of object files (i.e., compiled files ending with .o).
>From that list, make can determine if it needs to compile the corresponding
C file.

> 
> Second, when I tried the
> 
> "Make modules modules_install" command I get the following error
> 
> The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
> Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
> Then build a kernel with module support enabled.
> 
> make: *** [modules] Error 1
> 
> Now, I really think I have modules enabled...I mean I'm running the irc and
> quake modules...aren't I???  Are these not loadable modules?

Usually, yes. However, what you are running does not necessarily have much
to do with the kernel *sources* you try to compile.

> 
> I would just rebuild the kernel and say "Ta' hell with it", but every time I
> rebuild the kernel I end up killing my whole system...
> 
> If this is what I need to do, then can someone point me to a good resource
> for kernel compilation that an idiot like me can figure out :-)

make xconfig

That allows you to go back and forth in the categories. Be sure to read the
help on *anything* you don't understand. There also is a lot of documentation
in the /usr/src/linux/Documentation directory.

Then:
- make dep; make bzImage; make modules; make modules_install.
- backup your old kernel.
- copy the new kernel from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage to where
you normally have your kernel (often /boot).
- lilo (you may want to modify /etc/lilo.conf to allow booting your backup
kernel).

-Joe

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to