/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */


-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

This problem has been driving me nuts! :-)  ICQ just won't work!

I'm running Linux 2.2.12 (RedHat 6.1). I haven't re-compiled the kernel. 
I'm also using ipchains v1.3.9 and my box is firewalled using my own 
script <http://www.jsmoriss.dyndns.org/linux/rc.firewall>. I've tried
stripping the firewall rules and running everything as ACCEPT (with
logging), but I'm still having the same problem. Basically, UDP packets
are sent to the mirabilis server, but no UDP packet ever comes back!

Here's an excerpt from the syslog. Logging has been added to the MASQ,
input and output rules. Any inbound (UDP or TCP) packet would show up in
the syslog.

> Apr 24 17:20:33 marvin kernel: Packet log: forward MASQ eth1 PROTO=17
> 10.1.1.20:2042 205.188.153.106:4000 L=163 S=0x00 I=21865 F=0x0000 T=127 
> (#1)
>
> Apr 24 17:20:33 marvin kernel: ip_masq_icq: LOGIN
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:12507<-60210/2042, protocol v5
>
> Apr 24 17:20:33 marvin kernel: Packet log: output ACCEPT eth1 PROTO=17
> 24.201.24.83:61279 205.188.153.106:4000 L=163 S=0x00 I=21865
> F=0x0000 T=127 (#84)
>
> Apr 24 17:20:43 marvin kernel: Packet log: forward MASQ eth1 PROTO=17
> 10.1.1.20:2042 205.188.153.106:4000 L=163 S=0x00 I=22633 F=0x0000 T=127 
> (#1)
>
> Apr 24 17:20:43 marvin kernel: ip_masq_icq: LOGIN
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:12507<-60210/2042, protocol v5
>
> Apr 24 17:20:43 marvin kernel: Packet log: output ACCEPT eth1 PROTO=17
> 24.201.24.83:61279 205.188.153.106:4000 L=163 S=0x00 I=22633
> F=0x0000 T=127 (#84)

I thought it might be a network problem, but a portscan of the mirabilis
server (using the IP above) shows no problem.

> root@marvin:/etc/rc.d$ nmap -sU -p4000 205.188.153.106
> 
> Starting nmap V. 2.3BETA14 by [EMAIL PROTECTED] ( www.insecure.org/nmap/)
> Interesting ports on fes-d010.icq.aol.com (205.188.153.106):
> Port    State       Protocol  Service
> 4000    open        udp       unknown
> 
> Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1 second

I also tried tracerouting the IP, but I think AOL drops ICMP pacets:

> root@marvin:/etc/rc.d$ traceroute -s 24.201.24.83 205.188.153.106
> traceroute to 205.188.153.106 (205.188.153.106) from 24.201.24.83, 30 hops
> max, 40 byte packets
>  1  * * *
>  2  24.200.243.102 (24.200.243.102)  11.126 ms  9.865 ms  10.267 ms
>  3  modemcable077.250-200-24.mtl.mc.videotron.net (24.200.250.77)  11.674
> ms  23.387 ms  11.685 ms
>  4  modemcable073.250-200-24.mtl.mc.videotron.net (24.200.250.73)  24.619
> ms  10.577 ms  11.881 ms
>  5  modemcable134.250-200-24.mtl.mc.videotron.net (24.200.250.134)  10.937
> ms  13.434 ms  13.783 ms
>  6  ia-piex-bb01-fec1.videotron.net (207.253.239.1)  13.492 ms  14.059 ms
> 11.776 ms
>  7  ia-cduc-bb02-ge2-0.videotron.net (207.253.253.61)  13.183 ms  19.532
> ms  14.589 ms
>  8  if-4-1.core1.Montreal.Teleglobe.net (207.45.204.5)  32.997 ms  18.440
> ms  15.334 ms
>  9  if-6-2.core1.NewYork.Teleglobe.net (207.45.220.21)  27.632 ms  28.444
> ms *
> 10  ix-7-0.core1.NewYork.Teleglobe.net (207.45.196.138)  26.583 ms  27.574
> ms  26.219 ms
> 11  nyc-core-01.inet.qwest.net (205.171.17.126)  62.197 ms  34.563 ms
> 29.938 ms
> 12  wdc-core-02.inet.qwest.net (205.171.5.235)  33.320 ms  30.488 ms
> 33.549 ms
> 13  wdc-edge-05.inet.qwest.net (205.171.24.86)  28.283 ms  29.078 ms
> 28.981 ms
> 14  205.171.54.94 (205.171.54.94)  30.850 ms  29.712 ms  29.749 ms
> 15  bb2-dcl-P6-1.atdn.net (204.148.99.69)  54.745 ms  29.974 ms  30.719 ms
> 16  bb2-dtc-P10-0.atdn.net (204.148.97.166)  28.423 ms  31.545 ms  29.954
> ms
> 17  ow4-dtc-P9-0.atdn.net (204.148.101.146)  35.957 ms  33.422 ms  32.170
> ms
> 18  oscar-dc3-P0-1.aol.com (205.188.130.210)  43.906 ms  31.141 ms  29.959
> ms
> 19  oscar-dc3-P0-1.aol.com (205.188.130.210)  33.155 ms !X * *
> 20  * * oscar-dc3-P0-1.aol.com (205.188.130.210)  31.869 ms !X
> 21  * * *
> 22  * * *
> 23  * * oscar-dc3-P0-1.aol.com (205.188.130.210)  38.230 ms !X
> 24  * * *
> 25  * * *
> 26  * * *
> 27  oscar-dc3-P0-1.aol.com (205.188.130.210)  28.375 ms !X *  31.999 ms !X

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be?

Thanks,
js.
- -- 
Jean-Sebastien Morisset, Sr. UNIX Admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Personal Homepage <http://www.jsmoriss.dyndns.org/> 
UNIX, Internet, Homebrewing, Cigars, PCS, CP2020 and other Fun Stuff...
This is Linux Country. On a quiet night you can hear Windows NT reboot!

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGP 6.5.1i
Comment: Personal Home Page <http://jsm.montreal.qc.ca/>

iQA/AwUBOQS+5JxsiDnGGop4EQI/QgCePJhTo5JB6M1lJe5CKdUDMOeWOS0AoNL3
+aJ+W0HnQhfbC3q5gpJl8bqm
=LiIr
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________
Masq maillist  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES 
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.

Reply via email to