/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */
raf, Thank you very much indeed!
raf wrote:
>
> make sure that you have configured the kernel to masquerade icmp packets
> since it doesn't by default (the option is called something like
> MASQUERADE_ICMP).
Yes, this was OK! (CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_ICMP)
> if that's not the problem, go to
> http://www.zip.com.au/~raf2/lib/software/firewall
> there's a utility in there called fwhelper which
> simulates the packet matching algorithm and shows
> a trace so you can see what rules match or not and
> why or why not. it's like "ipchains -C" but useful.
>
> > Another thing, how can I do logging packets rejected by "DENY POLICY"?
>
> make the last rule on the chain do nothing but log.
> e.g.
> ipchains -A input -l
> ipchains -A output -l
This information was very useful.
Thanks to you, I could discover my fatal and very stupid error.
Though IP address of firewall was A.B.C.1, I described (A-1).B.C.1 .
I could found it with the syslog generated above rule.
The ping finally can be passed between HOST-WWW and HOST-1.
Still there is a little problem about ftp, so I will try to use the tool
"fwhelper" you introduced me for it.
> also, it looks like the firewall/masquerading host will masquerade
> any packets that it receives via eth1 that need to be forwarded via
> eth2 or vice versa. this is probably a mistake. do something like
> the following to prevent this:
>
> # Accept (unmasqueraded) traffic amongst multiple internal networks
>
> for src in $INTERNAL_NETWORKS
> do
> for dst in $INTERNAL_NETWORKS
> do
> if [ "$src" != "$dst" ]
> then
> ipchains -A forward -s $src -d $dst -j ACCEPT
> fi
> done
> done
>
> # Masquerade traffic from internal networks to the outside world
>
> for masqnet in $INTERNAL_NETWORKS
> do
> ipchains -A forward -s $masqnet -j MASQ
> done
About this, I have to add explanation.
To say exactly, I settle a data base host protected by firewall on the
another network "eth1", that functions passively.
On HOST-F/W, I have HOST-1 to be able to access to both of HOST-WWW
thru eth0 and data base host thru et0.
The HOST-WWW and data base host only reply for this access from HOST-1,
principally. When this access from HOST-1, the ip address would be
masquerade to eth0 (to HOST-WWW) or to eth1 (to data base host).
In this moment, the data base host will not access to another host
by itself.
In very near future, the HOST-WWW should access to the data base host
to serve it's data on Web. For this, I will allow it by applying
rules of port forwarding 'ipmasqadm' on HOST-F/W from eth0 to eth1,
because the access should be very limited.
So, I think it would not be so necessary for applying above scripts
for this schematic, what dp you think?
Anyhow, thanks again !
Jaime.
PS: Is there no way to receive these message in each...
(not digest version) ???
--
Hajime Lucky Okada
Email) [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<HOME>
http://www2.osk.3web.ne.jp/~luckyo/
_______________________________________________
Masq maillist - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Admin requests can be handled at http://www.indyramp.com/masq-list/ -- THIS INCLUDES
UNSUBSCRIBING!
or email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PLEASE read the HOWTO and search the archives before posting.
You can start your search at http://www.indyramp.com/masq/
Please keep general linux/unix/pc/internet questions off the list.
- [Masq] ping does not return.... Hajime Lucky Okada
- Re: [Masq] ping does not return.... raf
- Re: [Masq] ping does not return.... Hajime Lucky Okada
- Re: [Masq] ping does not return.... raf
- Re: [Masq] ping does not return.... Hajime Lucky Okada
