>Using the simplest setup described in the howto (see below), the
>internal machine (192.168.1.2) can ping anywhere on the Internet through
>the masquerading machine, but can only get WWW, ftp, etc. (and I assume
>any other TCP-based services) from my ISP's machines (machines in the
>ISP's subnet).  Accesses to other systems on the Internet never succeed
>(DNS works, but the internal machine never receives a response).

It sounds like you aren't getting a default gateway from the
ISP.  When you are dialed up and can connect to all the
ISP servers but can't connect to other servers on the Internet,
(list your given PPP IP and a few ISP server IPs you are able to
connect to, and also send us the output from "netstat -rn".

--David
|  David A. Ranch - Linux/Networking/PC hardware         [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
`----- For more detailed info, see http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~dranch -----'