/* HINT: Search archives @ http://www.indyramp.com/masq/ before posting! */

        Hello,

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, David A. Ranch wrote:

> >     It seems that the following code is not useful:
>
> This isn't true at all!
>
> This code is very useful for people that play games behind MASQ servers.
> I have already been in comunications with Juan Ciarlante, the current
> MASQ code maintainer and several other Masq kernel gurus (Nigel, etc).
>
> In the 2.0.x kernels, this was configurable at compile time via the
> Loose_UDP option.  In the current 2.2.x kernels, it was enabled by
> default.  In future 2.2.x kernels, this code will be improved on to
> be more intelligent and probably be disabled by DEFAULT
> via an option in /proc.  I will soon document this in the HOWTO when
> people will need to enable this feature.

        When I said not useful I meant that this is the problem.
If you continue to read the next messages in the thread you will
see where is the problem. The solution in 2.2.15pre17 is not good.
Oh, god. Is the masq-dev threads indexed anywhere in the web? Find them,
please. If the option is disabled NO_DADDR entries are created instead of
DLOOSE. Don't hurry to document anything. We have to solve many problems
including the UDP loose option. It seems that the ms->flags changes will
go out of the ip_masq_new routine, so this code is not _useful_ there.
It must be in ip_fw_masquerade but not in this form.

        With the new option enabled we are vulnarable to DoS. The
tunnel can be hijacked and the internal host will never receive
the first packet from the external dest it is talking to. Before pre17
we still can receive this packet (and other packets too which many people
think it is a problem).

        There are also some dark zones in the hash tables which must
be corrected. Everyone experience problems when the dyn IP is changed.
OK, we are going to solve these problems too with the more graceful
transition to the new IP - for the UDP and TCP outgoing connections.

        And again, I still don't understand what hole we closed with the
new option. We can say that every host in the internet is vulnerable when
UDP is used. Known fact. Why this is a problem with the internal hosts.
The spoofing can be dropped from the firewall. I still don't have an
example for an internal service that can be fooled with such packets.
Please, anyone to give examples.

P.S. Is there an URL for the masq-dev threads? It seems they are
masqueraded^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H not visible to the world :)

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>