http://forums.radioreference.com/greater-los-angeles-inland-areas-discussion/183241-paramedic-hospital-base-frequencies-3.html

some info on Massachusetts also

----------------------------

Lets see if I can explain LA County EMS is 100 words or less

Los Angeles County is subdivided into - unincoporated areas, and 88
(IIRC) cities. The LA County FD serves all of the unincoporated areas,
and maybe 50 of the cities. LA County FD provides first responder and
ALS first response service. Ambulance service (the actual vehicle that
transports the patient to the hospital) is provided by private
ambulance companies. The County FD area is divided up into (maybe 10)
County Ambulance Zones. (as partially mentioned in the thread)

Los Angeles City does not use private ambulances in their 911 system.
The LAFD operates their own ambulances.

Some of the suburban city FDs also operate FD ambulances - such as
Pasadena, Beverly Hills, etc. I am not sure about the rest of the
suburbs - they either contract for their own private ambulances, or
maybe they are required to use the County Zone ambulance.

Angeles National Forest does not operate any amblances. AFAIK the
ambulances respond on orders of the County FD.

AFAIK there is no such thing as a police ambulance in Los Angeles
County. I suspect that all EMS on the highways is done via the local
FDs or County FD (and private ambulances).

Medical helicopter service works like this I think - LA City - first
due is LAFD helo - LA County - first due is LA County FD helos - ANF -
Sheriff Air 5 daytimes - suburbs - ??? - maybe a private helo - maybe
County FD helo - ???? - interhospital transfers - ???

Note - County Lifeguard paramedics protect Catalina Island - (and
maybe the Zuma Beach area in far western Malibu)

Note - Edwards AFB probably has their own FD medic ambulances

Note - there might be 1 or 2 oil refineries with their own ambulances

(maybe 400 words - not too bad)