https://www.eastidahonews.com/2023/09/you-might-need-an-ambulance-but-your-state-might-not-see-it-as-essential/

EMS professionals have been advocating for essential designation and
more sustainable funding “for longer than I’ve been around — longer
than I’ve been a paramedic,” said Mark McCulloch, 42, who is deputy
chief of emergency medical services for West Des Moines, Iowa, and who
has been a paramedic for more than two decades.

Currently, 13 states and the District of Columbia have passed laws
designating or allowing local governments to deem EMS as an essential
service, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures, a
think tank that has been tracking legislation around the issue.

Those include Connecticut, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maine,
Nebraska, Nevada, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia and
West Virginia.

And at least two states — Massachusetts and New York — have pending legislation.