We are happy to announce the release of Matplotlib 2.2.0!
The first release of the v2.2 LTS series and the last version of
Matplotlib to support python2. There will be bug-fix release for this
series until 2020.
This release includes new features including:
- An experimental constrained layout manager
- Color blind friendly color map (cividis) and color cycle
- native support for numpy.datetime64 types
- animated gif writing via pillow
- TkAgg now works with pypy
- cairo based backends for Qt, Tk, and WX
For full details see https://matplotlib.org/users/whats_new.html
There are several API changes in this release:
- To support the constrained layout Matplotlib has a new required
- The `matplotlib.finance` module has been removed, development has
moved to a stand-alone project.
For more details see https://matplotlib.org/api/api_changes.html
The next feature release of Matplotlib will be 3.0, targeted for July 2018
will support python 3.5+.
We are looking for a release manager for the 2.2.x series.
Thank you again to everyone (~100) people who helped to get the release
done and out the door!
Matplotlib-announce mailing list