    Norbert> This functionality was never there, so nobody can miss
    Norbert> it. Before my changes, the options in matplotlibrc only
    Norbert> allowed to specify fixed colors for mfc and mec. This is
    Norbert> now not possible any more, but can easily be done via
    Norbert> kwargs. Automatic coloring was just as inflexible as it
    Norbert> is now but less consistent.

Yeah, I mispoke a bit.  What I meant is that I prefer black edges, and
I expect

  plot(rand(10), 'go')

to have a green face and black edges.  There is no way in the new
infrastructure for this to happen by default as far as I can see, but
I can pass mec if I want.

I can live with it, but I may not be the only one, so be prepared for
griping.  Or we can consider something like Eric proposed where mec
can either follow mfc or be set to a fixed color, or something along
those lines.

JDH