On 11/5/06, Jouni K Seppanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does anyone here have experience with subsetting TrueType fonts (or
> Type 1 or OpenType, for that matter)? One pretty frequent complaint is
> that the eps files produced by matplotlib can be huge because they
> include the full font. Nowadays some popular fonts include characters
> for Greek, Cyrillic, Hebrew, Arabic, and possibly even Chinese,
> Japanese, and Korean, so a font can be several megabytes large.

I do not have experience in subsetting TrueType fonts, but I read the
pure Python code dedicated to this task in ReportLab:

http://www.reportlab.co.uk/svn/public/reportlab/trunk/reportlab/pdfbase/ttfonts.py

It proves it's possible to achieve it in pure Python, without
requiring fonttools. And it can be a good source of inspiration.
Perhaps the licence is compatible with matplotlib's one?