Actually, it just occurred to me that you could use 'defs' and 'use' to
define characters as paths and reuse them.  And that's something that
works today in virtually any SVG renderer.

It totally blitzes the logical representation of the text (i.e.
searching and copying as text etc.), but if it was only done for math
text, then that's probably not a big deal.  IMHO, math text is where
matching the exact font is most important, where a reasonable substitute
is often not installed, and where searching doesn't make a lot of
sense.  In any case, editing the SVG in something like Inkscape will be
harder, since the text has become raw paths.

Thanks to ft2font, it was fairly easy to get outlines of math characters
embedded in the SVG file.  I've put up an example mathtext_demo.py SVG here:

    ftp://ftp.stsci.edu/tmp/mdroe/mathtext_demo.svg

I'll commit this code once it's cleaned up and better tested etc. if
it's agreed this is something we want to do.  I think in any case this
should be optional -- it gives the file some portability at the expense
of editability.

Cheers,
Mike