On 7/26/07, Darren Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thursday 26 July 2007 9:05:41 pm Fernando Perez wrote:

> > This sounds to me like a good case for Guido's mantra of NOT putting
> > keywords in functions and instead just making two separate functions.
> > Why not just
> >
> > text(x,y,"This year I lost a lot of $$$")
> > mtext(x,y,r"This year I lost \$$\infty$")
> >
> > ?  Explicit is better than implicit and all that...
>
> what about x/ylabels, titles, ticks, etc?

Oh, I'd forgotten about all of those :)  Yes, this is pervasive across
MPL, I answered in haste.  Duplicating the entire text-related API may
be a tad much, perhaps ;)

> I think education is the best way to go. Its not that difficult to grasp, its
> an established standard... and we are designing tools primarily for
> scientists and engineers after all. Most of the other options will probably
> have a larger effect on existing code.

Well, I was trying to go with John's concern for non-latex users.  I'm
quite happy with a system that treats *every string* via latex.  But I
know for many reasons that's not realistic here (and PyX does
precisely that, if I really want it).

Cheers,