Rob Hetland wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2007, at 4:03 PM, Michael Droettboom wrote:
>> There is now experimental support for custom fonts in math mode.
>> Try the above, and let me know how it goes...
>
> I finally had time to try out your new code a bit, and I like it.  It
> works well for the very simple cases, like superscripts.  One thing that
> I noticed is that the height of the superscript depends on the font size
> -- is this a hardwired distance, or relative to font size.

It is intended to be relative to the xheight (the height of a lower case
x) in the font.  If you find any cases where it looks really wrong, let
me know.  I don't know how reliable the xheight information in the font is.

> Also, it
> seems that when using the regular unicode fonts, more difficult math
> expressions, e.g., integrals, look terrible.  I guess this is the point
> when CM is unavoidable...

I agree, they look terrible.  There are things that could be done --
like using CM for only certain characters, such as the radical -- but
that sort of depends on what font you're using for the rest of the math.
  It may be that the user provides a font that *does* have a good
integral.  None of that is very difficult to do, but finding a way to
expose it to the user without exposing too much complexity and causing
too many different testing configurations is the hard part.  I think the
end result may be a very small set of "font configurations" that work
reasonably well, and anything outside of that is sort of "unsupported"
territory.

> I have been thinking that it might be possible to use some of the CM
> sans fonts, like CM bright.  Also, there is a Arev font set (vera,
> backwards -- basically Bitstream Vera with math extensions) that looks
> like it might be promising, but it seems that mathtext does not see
> these extented characters.

I'll download these fonts and give them a try.

> I found an excellent writeup on math/text font combinations in LaTeX here:
>     http://ctan.tug.org/tex-archive/info/Free_Math_Font_Survey/survey.html
> from this informative page:
>     http://cg.scs.carleton.ca/~luc/greek.html
> There are, of course, many others.

Thanks for those links.  That certainly provides a lot of options...
I'll have to look into these further.

Cheers,
Mike