On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Ryan May <rma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:08 PM, John Hunter <jdh2...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Most likely this is just due to an oversight in the __all__ so just
>> add it there in the branch and it should get picked up next time we
>> build the docs
>
> Done.  I also added them to the module-level docstring.
>
> Along these lines, I was trying to make use of AutoDateLocator, and as
> far as I can tell, there's no way to customize its behavior right now.
>  So when trying to use this for doing major and minor ticks, there's
> no difference.  It looks like in the get_locator() method of
> AutoDateLocator, numticks is used to control what types of ticking
> (yearly, monthly) is used.  Would it make sense to have this as an
> attribute of self so that the user can tweak it?  Or maybe go to:
>
> 1) minticks (instead of numticks) which specifies a minimum number of
> ticks that are desired,
>     to select yearly, monthly, etc.
> 2) maxticks, which specifies a maximum number of ticks, which can be
> used to calculate the interval
>     (every N'th month). Right now, the rules for selecting this are hard
> coded.
>
> I'm interested in hacking this up.  But since you wrote the code, I
> want to make sure that going this direction makes sense to you.

I don't have a strong opinion on this -- making it more customizable
is a good thing -- this came up at scipy as well, where I contributed
a patch to make the AutoDateFormatter a little more customizable by
exposing a scaled dictionary mapping the scale to a format string.  As
long as the extension to the AutoDateLocator preserves the core
functionality, I say have at it.

JDH