Jae-Joon Lee wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Eric Firing <efir...@hawaii.edu> wrote:
>
>> PS backend already does things differently from others because it doesn't
>> handle alpha, correct?  Does the patch make this situation any worse?
>>

> When there are multiple Images and render.option_image_nocomposite()
> is false (as in the ps backend ), the images are composited
> (rasterized) into a single image before it is passed to the backend.
> So, AS FAR AS the images are concerned, I think the ps backend does
> handle alpha correctly and the results are consistent between
> backends.
>
> And with the Andrew's patch, and if there are non-image artists
> between two images, the results can be different. For example, those
> non-image artists can be obscured by the foreground image in the agg
> backend, but will always show up in the ps backend.
> So, I think this is somewhat different issue than alpha being ignored
> in the ps backend.

What's the motivation of the ps backend "compositing" (rasterizing to a
single bitmap) multiple images? It seems it will, by design, preclude
the use of non-image artists between two images. I guess the motivation
is to reduce output file size. Maybe Axes.draw() should disable
compositing in the scenario where a non-image artist is sandwiched by
image artists and suffer the increased file size.

-Andrew