On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:29 AM, william ratcliff
<william.ratcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't want to get into a flame war over this, but if Sourceforge was
> pressured into this and is having complaints and google has the same
> problem, how does Github get around it?  Are they incorporated in the US or
> outside?  If this is likely to become a problem, is there another service
> that can be used with git besides github that would not eventually be
> subject to such constraints?  Sorry, I'm just ignorant about such matters.

github has it's offices in the US and so they may change their policy
on this in the future if they feel the heat from the long arm of the
US law.  Currently they do not appear to enforce export restrictions.
Here is a helpful summary of different open source hosting facilities
and their features and policies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities

On Jan 25th, 2010, SF implemented a ban enforcing US export restrictions.

http://sourceforge.net/blog/clarifying-sourceforgenets-denial-of-site-access-for-certain-persons-in-accordance-with-us-law/

But on Feb 7th, 2010, they lifted the blanket ban and now project
admins can impose the restriction if they are distributing restricted
technologies, which seems like a good compromise.

http://sourceforge.net/blog/clarifying-sourceforgenets-denial-of-site-access-for-certain-persons-in-accordance-with-us-law/

Looks like the wikipedia site I linked above is out of date w/ respect
to sourceforge.

As far as I know, mpl is not distributing any restricted technologies
-- we do make extensive use of message digest functions like md5 for
caching, but these do not appear to be covered (eg, see
http://www.fourmilab.ch/md5).  So it would be preferable to be on a
host that does not implement blanket restrictions.  github does not
currently, and if they change their policy going forward we may elect
to move.  Given that sourceforge has found a way to distribute
compliant code to restricted countries, and github currently does not
impose restrictions, I'm cautiously optimistic that a subsequent move
will not be necessary.

JDH