On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Ian Thomas <ianthoma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Before going ahead with this I wished to ascertain how much interest
> there was for this functionality as I don't want to spend time doing
> something that isn't wanted or needed.

I'm definitely interested, but I defer to Eric as the ultimate arbiter
of all things contour related.  I'm not concerned about the C++, we
depend on plenty of that and std C++ won't increase the compile or
distribution burden.  I am a little concerned about the "hand wrapped
python" part because of the possibilities of introducing memory leaks
and difficulties it may pose in the matplotlib 2->3 transition.  We
use CXX mostly to expose our C++ (eg see src/ft2font.cpp or
src/_backend_agg.cpp) and I'm hopeful that this will ease our
transition to python3 since CXX6 supports python3.  It would probably
be beneficial, but by no means required, to use CXX to expose the C++
part to python so take a look if you are inclined.

I'm also a bit concerned by the maintenance aspect, since this is a
fairly sophisticated piece of code.  We'd be looking for a commitment
to support it if we include it in mpl.