JJ,

In AxesImageBase._draw_unsampled_image, there is a call to
_get_unsampled_image(...noslice=True).  When using imshow(Z,
interpolation='nearest'), this defeats the slicing that makes such a
difference when zooming and panning a small chunk of a large image.
Changing it to False makes imshow work better; I don't understand why
one would ever want noslice=True.  Am I missing something?  Can we just
change it to False?  Or remove the noslice option and kwarg entirely?

Eric