Hi,

There seems to be a problem in how 3D surfaces and lines are rendered
in mplot3d. The following is a simple script that plots a yellow
sphere, a blue wireframe on the surface of the sphere, and a red
wireframe outside the sphere. The semi-transparent yellow sphere is
rendered beautifully. The blue wireframe can only be seen with certain
viewing angles. The red wireframe is seen all the time, but its part
that is supposedly behind the sphere appears in front of the sphere.
Did I do something wrong or is it a bug of mplot3d? I am using
matplotlib 1.0.0 on Mac OS X 10.6. Thanks!

-Mike

from mpl_toolkits.mplot3d import Axes3D
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
import numpy as np

fig = plt.figure()
ax = fig.gca(projection='3d')

u = np.linspace(0, 2 * np.pi, 100)
v = np.linspace(0, np.pi, 100)

x = 10 * np.outer(np.cos(u), np.sin(v))
y = 10 * np.outer(np.sin(u), np.sin(v))
z = 10 * np.outer(np.ones(np.size(u)), np.cos(v))
ax.plot_surface(x, y, z,  rstride=4, cstride=4, color='y', alpha=0.5)
ax.plot_wireframe(x, y, z, rstride=10, cstride=10, color='b')
ax.plot_wireframe(x*1.1, y*1.1, z*1.1, rstride=20, cstride=20, color='r')