--- On Thu, 7/22/10, John Hunter <jdh2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We could handle this on the agg side with a property,
> or require all canvases to supply get renderer.

Do we actually need a renderer in each of the backends? At least when I was
writing the Mac OS X backend, it was not clear to me what functionality should
go in the renderer and what should go in the graphics context. I expect that
the same is true for the other postscript-style backends such as the cairo,
pdf, and ps backends.

In the end, I decided to mainly use the graphics context because it nicely maps
to the Quartz graphics context at the C level, whereas the renderer doesn't
have a corresponding data structure at the C level. In the Mac OS X backend,
basically what the renderer does is to forward to the graphics context. In the
ps backend most of the work is being done in the renderer instead of the
graphics context, but again this is just a choice. I think that we should first
remove such inconsistencies between backends.

--Michiel