Hello all,

I would like to submit the following branch on github for review and
merging into matplotlib trunk:

http://github.com/ellisonbg/matplotlib/commits/guisupport

This branch implements the logic needed for the qt4 and wx backends to
fully work with the upcoming IPython 0.11 release.  In our testing we
have run many of the mpl examples (including the new animation
examples) in both qt4/wx in both the terminal based IPython and the
new IPython Qt GUI.  For background on these changes please see this
thread:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=AANLkTik2SNtXMaezCc0UiMnCYg6LxwEL1eN9YASnmOua%40mail.gmail.com&forum_name=matplotlib-devel

It is important to note that we have not updated the other matplotlib
backends (gtk, tk, etc.) to have this logic.  This is mainly because
we know almost nothing about these toolkits and could really use some
help from folks who are experts at the respective toolkits.  We have
done some minimal testing and these other backends do work for simple
examples in the terminal IPython, but they won't work in all cases and
will definitely not work in the new IPython Qt based GUI.

We would love feedback and help testing as these changes are
significant (even though only a few lines of code).  To test this
stuff you will need to grab the following IPython development branch:

http://github.com/ipython/ipython/tree/newkernel

You should be able to run the examples in regular ipython:

ipython --pylab qt4|wx

Or the new GUI

ipythonqt --pylab qt4|wx

Cheers,