Eric Firing <efir...@...> writes:

> This project does NOT incorporate, access, call upon, or otherwise use
> encryption of any kind, including, but not limited to, open source
> algorithms and/or calls to encryption in the operating system or
> underlying platform.

I don't know whether lib/matplotlib/type1font.py meets this test. It
is needed by the usetex support for at least the pdf backend.

Owing to a former business model of Adobe, Type-1 fonts are
encrypted. The algorithm and encryption key are now widely known (and
Adobe distributes a technical note disclosing them), but it is still
an encryption algorithm.

The current version of type1font.py does not decrypt fonts, but it
accesses the encrypted part of a font and can be used to copy it in
the output postscript or pdf file. That could fall under "otherwise
use" as far as I understand (English is not my first language, and
legalese far less).

I have had some plans of adding Type-1 font subsetting support, which
I believe requires including the encryption algorithm.

Jouni