On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Pauli Virtanen <p...@iki.fi> wrote:
> Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:39:48 -0500, Darren Dale wrote:
> [clip]
>> Me too. I just posted the latest version of the repository to
>> github.com/darrendale/matplotlib.git . Its ~42MB, but it has a bunch of
>> unreachable objects. As soon as we figure out how to git rid of them, I
>> think we will be ready to freeze the svn repo and wrap this up.
>
> Unreachable from where? How do you know there are unreachable
> objects?
>
> Note that the snippet
>
>    git fsck --unreachable HEAD $(git for-each-ref --format="%(objectname)"
> refs/heads)
>
> only checks for objects unreachable from branches (by definition,
> stuff under refs/heads). However, there's also other stuff under refs/:
> tags and hidden branches. Especially the postprocess.sh script hides
> some branches.
>
> To see all that is there, check the output from
>
>    git for-each-ref

Oh, I didn't understand what I was doing with the git fsck command.

Still, Even after removing the the largest blob in the repo with

run git filter-branch --index-filter \
   'git rm --cached --ignore-unmatch release/osx/matplotlib-0.98.5.tar.gz' \
   -- 750059aa09340^..

the blob still exists, but is not associated with a commit according to

git log --pretty=oneline -- release/osx/matplotlib-0.98.5.tar.gz

That blob accounts for 1/4 of the total size of the repo. It would be
nice to get rid of it, if possible.

Darren