I stumbled across this post on the matplotlib-users
archives<http://www.mailinglistarchive.com/html/matplotlib-us...@lists.sourceforge.net/2010-09/msg00359.html>that
linked to the py3k branch. After doing a checkout, though, I ran into
issues running the make.osx script as the README.osx recommends doing. Since
I'm assuming I cannot commit any changes to the branch, let me comment on
the few changes that enabled me to compile the dependencies so far.

Because I wanted to compile matplotlib for Python 3, I initially changed the
4th line to:

*PYVERSION=3.1*

Apparently urllib changed a bit from python 2 to 3, so I had to change all
calls to it to urllib.request, which resulted in the following changes to
lines 34-37:
*
    ${PYTHON} -c 'import urllib.request; urllib.request.urlretrieve("
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/files/zlib/${ZLIBVERSION}/zlib-${ZLIBVERSION}.tar.gz/download<http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/files/zlib/$%7BZLIBVERSION%7D/zlib-$%7BZLIBVERSION%7D.tar.gz/download>",
"zlib-${ZLIBVERSION}.tar.gz")'  &&\
    ${PYTHON} -c 'import urllib.request; urllib.request.urlretrieve("
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/files/libpng12/older-releases/${PNGVERSION}/libpng-${PNGVERSION}.tar.gz/download<http://sourceforge.net/projects/libpng/files/libpng12/older-releases/$%7BPNGVERSION%7D/libpng-$%7BPNGVERSION%7D.tar.gz/download>",
"libpng-${PNGVERSION}.tar.gz")' &&\
    ${PYTHON} -c 'import urllib.request; urllib.request.urlretrieve("
http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freetype/freetype-${FREETYPEVERSION}.tar.bz2<http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/freetype/freetype-$%7BFREETYPEVERSION%7D.tar.bz2>",
"freetype-${FREETYPEVERSION}.tar.bz2")'*

Note that I also updated the links for zlib and libpng. The original zlib
link worked, but I couldn't find the sourceforge project (the url seemed to
be old), so I updated it to the one distributed through libpng's project
nowadays (which is what the other seems to have been, anyway). For libpng,
though, the previous link didn't work and instead of giving an error when
downloading, it just created a file that couldn't be uncompressed. Changing
these three lines above enabled the download and proper compilation of all
deps.

I also bumped into a minor typo on line 25, that caused clean not to delete
the downloaded libpng tarball:

*    rm -rf zlib-${ZLIBVERSION}.tar.gz libpng-${PNGVERSION}.tar.gz \*

After making all these changes, though, the compilation broke when either
making mpl_build or mpl_install.

Before continuing the debug process, though, I wanted to check with someone
knowledgeable of this branch regarding its current status. Is it possible to
compile matplotlib on python3? If so, what are the limitations to its
capabilities?

Thanks so much for your time,

-- Fernando

P.S.: I'm attaching a diff with all these changes for convenience.