>> Is the old method (just using draw/set_xdata, etc.) not supported?  I
>> am working with a student and I want to keep is dead simple.
>
> The old method is subject to the problems you're encountering now
> because you're working outside the GUI's event loop. The new method
> was created to be "dead simple" and yet work reliably. If there's some
> kind of unintuitive/hard part of the new animation API, I'd love to
> know about it.

The main issue I have is that I am working with undergraduate students
who have no experience installing things from scratch.  In this
context I am stuck with whatever is in EPD.  Currently EPD is at
1.0.1, which does not have animation.  Will this file "just work" with
1.0.1 or 0.99.3?  I don't have any aversion to using animation.py, I
just need to be able to use it within a stock recent EPD.

Cheers,

Brian