On 12/01/2012 02:32 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:

> Since when has numpy used Cython?  I specifically remember a rather
> involved discussion thread on numpy-discussion about the pros-and-cons
> of including cython.  Now, SciPy on the other hand, does utilize Cython
> in some spots IIRC, but does it in a way that it isn't even required for
> the developers to have cython installed to build from source.

If you should choose cython please don't follow scipy too closely.
Up until rather recent git head they did not ship the cython sources in
their source tarballs which occasionally lead to inconsistent generated
files (e.g. in 0.10.1 interpnd.pyx) and causes trouble for distributors
(see e.g. debian bug 589731)

A better example to follow would be e.g. pyzmq which ships both the
cython and generated sources and has an easy to use cython setup.py
target to recythonize.