On 12/16/2012 02:50 PM, Damon McDougall wrote:
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Todd <toddr...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 8:21 PM, Damon McDougall <damon.mcdoug...@gmail.com>
wrote:
On Sat, Dec 15, 2012 at 8:25 PM, Jason Grout
<jason-s...@creativetrax.com> wrote:
On 12/14/12 10:55 AM, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
sourceforge's horror of an interface.
I'll second that.  Every time I go to Sourceforge, I have to figure out
how in the world to download what I want (and I have to figure out which
things *not* to click on too).
Ok sounds like there is a reasonable amount of resistance towards
Sourceforge.

Eric, when you suggest that NumFocus could 'provide hosting directly',
do you mean they would have the physical hardware to host the files,
or are you suggesting they provide the finances to seek hosting
elsewhere?

In the GitHub blog post, they suggest using S3. We could try that.
It's fairly inexpensive and the first year is free (within monthly
bandwidth limits). We could try it for a year and see how that pans
out? I'm not entirely sure how the Amazon stuff works but I've heard
good things about it.

Are you sure the monthly bandwidth limits are sufficient?

Also, have you talked to the pypi people about making exceptions for really
popular projects?  If critical packages like numpy, scipy, and matplotlib
cannot use pypi, that seems like a major failing of the system.
Here's the pricing: http://aws.amazon.com/s3/#pricing. The free tier
programme limits are on there too. Unfortunately, I do not have the
knowledge to be able to say whether we would hit that or not.

Since Nov 3, when 1.2.0 was released, we've used 1.7 GB of transfer from the github download site. The S3 "free tier" limit of 1.5 GB/month is awfully close to that.

Matt, have you had experienced comitting binaries to the gh-pages
branch? Are there size limits?

There used to be limits on github-pages specifically, but they seem to have silently removed information about them. As for any github repository, the limit is 1GB per repository.

https://help.github.com/articles/what-is-my-disk-quota

We already have 375MB in our documentation (pages) repository. We use about 150MB for all of the binaries for each release. So we'd be able to squeeze about 3-4 releases in there before needing to explicitly prune stuff. Additionally, the link above seems to discourage hosting very large files in the pages repository -- I don't know if that means they intend to not support them.

Mike