On 7 January 2013 16:38, Michael Droettboom <md...@stsci.edu> wrote:
> I know there's a lot of code in the wild that treats cbook as public and
> would probably be affected by it going away.  However, there hasn't been
> much care taken within that module as to what we want to support
> publicly and what would be better left as private.  Many things in it,
> of course, are imported to the top-level of the matplotlib package, and
> those are quite strongly public, I would say, but we probably have to do
> these things on a case-by-case basis.  I think the best approach is to
> probably deprecate now and remove later -- though there may be some
> things in there that we want to keep even if they aren't used internally
> (but let's add some tests in the latter case).  Do you have a complete
> list of everything in cbook that isn't used by matplotlib itself?

This is a list I quickly built: I have no certainty that it is correct
nor complete:

book's unused functions and classes in matplotlib:

unmasked_index_ranges
tostr (note that there is a method called tostr in mlab)
todatetime
todate
tofloat
toint
_BoundMethodProxy
TimeOut
Idler
Scheduler (is used by TimeOut and Idler)
uniquer
Sorter
Xlator
soundex
Null
dict_delall
RingBuffer
wrap (unsure)
pieces
alltrue
allpairs
finddir
reverse_dict
MemoryMonitor
unmasked_index_ranges

functions that are redefined elsewhere:
is_math_text (in the text module)

I can have a closer look and deprecate things that aren't used
anywhere and don't seem very useful to anyone.

Thanks,