From: Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu>
Subject: Re: [matplotlib-devel] autoconf+python
To: "Thomas Kluyver" <tho...@kluyver.me.uk>
Cc: "matplotlib development list" <matplotlib-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Monday, January 7, 2013, 12:24 PM

On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Thomas Kluyver <tho...@kluyver.me.uk> wrote:

On 7 January 2013 16:57, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:

I was just reading some comments from Richard Stallman on ./ when I noticed
that he pointed out a useful autoconf feature that was added somewhat recently.
 Essentially, this feature would allow one to do a build/install of a python
module using the "./configure; make install" approach, if one chooses.  Maybe
it should be something to consider adding to our build system?

My 2 cents: I took over the maintenance of a Python project built by autotools.
The build system felt more complex than the actual application - a fantastic
world of .am files generating .in files generating Makefiles, which themselves
were packed with abstractions. I had little idea how to change anything in the
build process, and before long I ripped it out in favour of setup.py, despite
all distutils' flaws.

I'm sure that's more a question of my experience than of autotools, but I'd
think twice before adding it to a project.

Best wishes,

Thomas

That's a very good point.  I certainly don't want to add significant complexity
to our build system.  We certainly have enough of it as-is.  I was hoping that
there was a way to complement our setup.py approach.  In other words, "python
setup.py install" would be our primary means of build/install, while allowing
for "make install" as an alternative.  I have yet to actually look into how
this current autoconf feature would work and if that is even possible.

Ben Root

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learnmore_122412
-----Inline Attachment Follows-----