On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Michael Droettboom <md...@stsci.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'm hoping to host a matplotlib sprint during the final two days of Scipy
>> 2013 this year, and I hope to see as many as possible of you there.  I think
>> it's also really important to bring new developers into sprints, because
>> it's such an efficient way to get people familiar with the code base.
>>
>> It might be helpful to start brainstorming now about which projects we may
>> want to tackle so that we can have as much in place as possible by then and
>> hit the ground running.
>>
>> I've set up a wiki page here:
>>
>> https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/wiki/Scipy-2013
>>

> Getting a bit back on the original topic of the SciPy sprints, there are
> some things I have learned from last year's sprints.  First off, there are
> going to be a lot of newbies there who do not even have a developer setup,
> let alone a source install of matplotlib.  Myself and a few other people
> spent several hours fumbling around with getting the Mac users set up
> properly.  With me not being a Mac user, I felt very helpless.  We need to
> be better prepared for these users (as well as the Windows users).
>
> Second, working on matplotlib isn't very "sexy" (at least, insofar as
> working on ipython, or one of the scikits).  Most of the attendees are
> specialized scientists who only cares enough about matplotlib to produce
> "the plot" for their work.  Getting attendees to join your sprint is a hard
> sell.  This is not meant to discourage you, but rather to help better frame
> what the tasks and goals should be for matplotlib at the sprints.
>
> I wish I was this prepared last year.  You are off to a much better start
> than I was.
>
> Cheers!
> Ben Root

Ben,

This is incredibly useful information.  I have never been to a sprint
before so this valuable knowledge to have.  Since I'm a mac user,
perhaps I could put together a 'source install walkthrough' or
something?  That might help us save some time fumbling at the
beginning of the sprint.

--
Damon McDougall
http://www.damon-is-a-geek.com