Thanks for the interest. I agree there's lots that can be done to improve it.

You may want to familiarize yourself with MEP10 ( https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/wiki/Mep10) though that mainly deals with docstrings and not the narrative documentation.

Perhaps as a starting point, you'd want to write a MEP with your specific proposals -- maybe as a set of guidelines for how the docs should be laid out (with a few concrete examples of such changes, but without going through the laborious process of making all such changes). The nice thing about writing a MEP is that then we can point other people who want to help out to it and say "this is what we're trying to do", rather than the burden of all of the work being on just a single person. At least that's the idea ;)

Mike