On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Skip Montanaro <s...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Despite our wish that it wasn't so, it is likely that there is far
> more undocumented than documented code out in the wild, or behind
> firewalls where we can't see it.

Well, then you're hosed anyway -- relying on the name of an unused variable
using a call for your docs is, shall we say not very robust.

In my experience, there's no
> real need to be intentionally obscure by not giving a variable a
> meaningful, whether or not you intend/expect to use it. Besides, open
> source code can serve as a living example of good coding practices.
> Might as well do our best in that regard.

then use "unused_meaningful_name"

it looks like pylint, anyway, will accept that.

Or is the goal here to come to a consensus for MPL style?

If so, I'm +1 on "_", and -0 on unused_meaningful_name

-Chris

> Just sayin'...
>
> Skip

> Subversion Kills Productivity. Get off Subversion & Make the Move to
> Perforce.
> With Perforce, you get hassle-free workflows. Merge that actually works.
> Faster operations. Version large binaries.  Built-in WAN optimization and
> the
> freedom to use Git, Perforce or both. Make the move to Perforce.
>
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=122218951&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov