On 04/19/2014 10:53 AM, Jouni K. Seppänen wrote:
> I was prompted by
>
> https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/issues/2916
>
> to run some static checkers on the C/C++ extension modules, and I was
> going to submit some simple fixes as pull requests, including assertions
> of some preconditions. I just realized that our build system sets the
> -DNDEBUG compiler flag, which makes sense for release builds but could
> hide problems in test builds.
>
> Do any of our Travis, Launchpad, or other daily builds undefine NDEBUG?

I think this is brought in from the parameters that were used to build
Python itself.  (The matplotlib build system doesn't explicitly add
it).  If you build matplotlib with a debug Python, you get a debug
matplotlib, however.  We could probably use a debug Python on Travis (in
addition to the ones we already have) -- just a matter of installing the
python-debug package and using the python-debug executable.

Mike

--
Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch