On 2014/11/15, 6:14 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:
> I was working on my embedding chapter of my book when I noticed a subtle
> difference in the tkagg backend from other interactive backends. First,
> all other interactive Canvas classes inherit their respective backend's
> widget:
>
> ```
> ben@tigger:~/Programs/matplotlib$ git grep "FigureCanvasBase" | grep
> "class "
> lib/matplotlib/backend_bases.py:class FigureCanvasBase(object):
> lib/matplotlib/backends/backend_agg.py:class
> FigureCanvasAgg(FigureCanvasBase):
> lib/matplotlib/backends/backend_cairo.py:class FigureCanvasCairo
> (FigureCanvasBase):
> lib/matplotlib/backends/backend_gdk.py:class FigureCanvasGDK
> (FigureCanvasBase):
> lib/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtk.py:class FigureCanvasGTK
> (gtk.DrawingArea, FigureCanvasBase):
> lib/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtk3.py:class FigureCanvasGTK3
> (Gtk.DrawingArea, FigureCanvasBase):
> lib/matplotlib/backends/backend_macosx.py:class
> FigureCanvasMac(_macosx.FigureCanvas, FigureCanvasBase):
> lib/matplotlib/backends/backend_pdf.py:class
> FigureCanvasPdf(FigureCanvasBase):
> lib/matplotlib/backends/backend_pgf.py:class
> FigureCanvasPgf(FigureCanvasBase):
> lib/matplotlib/backends/backend_ps.py:class
> FigureCanvasPS(FigureCanvasBase):
> lib/matplotlib/backends/backend_qt5.py:class
> FigureCanvasQT(QtWidgets.QWidget, FigureCanvasBase):
> lib/matplotlib/backends/backend_svg.py:class
> FigureCanvasSVG(FigureCanvasBase):
> lib/matplotlib/backends/backend_template.py:class
> FigureCanvasTemplate(FigureCanvasBase):
> lib/matplotlib/backends/backend_wx.py:class
> FigureCanvasWx(FigureCanvasBase, wx.Panel):
> ```
> (I am going to assume that _macosx.FigureCanvas has all needed things
> built-in, and I'll ignore the switched order for FigureCanvasWx). I have
> no clue if this is potentially an issue or not, it just seemed a bit
> inconsistent.

There are a lot of differences; I don't know whether it would even be
possible to make TkAgg more similar to the others. One of the
differences is that most of the others have a native part (e.g.,
backend_qt5) and the part that pulls in agg (e.g., backend_qt5agg).
TkAgg does it all in one. I don't think the difference is problematic.

> Second, while I haven't tried out all the backends yet, I noticed that
> the Figure window for tkagg has an annoying border that the other
> backends don't have. It is fairly wide, 4 pixels. I would like to get
> rid of that. Does anybody object to that? I can make a PR for that and
> any other border widths I find.

Offhand, sounds reasonable.

Eric