Sharing the same axis across subplots is implemented via matplotlib's
interactive framework, and is available by default. Glue is built on top of
matplotlib, extending its interactive framework with many additional tools.
Yes, it might be overkill for this singular task, but implementing
orthogonal axis sharing isn't trivial, either, so suggesting a pre-packaged
solution is merely pragmatic.

Essentially, one would have to register callbacks for changes in each of
the parent subplot's axis. This, in of itself, isn't really all that
difficult once one learns the event framework. I think what might be very
tricky is doing it for the 3d axes. As the de facto maintainer of mplot3d,
I have never really tested axis sharing for mplot3d. I suspect that it
would work exactly as you'd expect for the x and y axes, but the z axis may
prove to be quirky. I don't know, I haven't ever tried it out. In general,
the z-axis implementation is a bit of a kludge, so things tend to be
different for it...

Here is an example of how to register callbacks to changes in a particular
axis. Hopefully, it can give you a nice leg up on the problem. Let me know
if you have problems with the z-axis, I might be able to help sort it out.
If you can get this to work, I would certainly love to include it in the
gallery.
http://matplotlib.org/examples/event_handling/viewlims.html

Cheers!
Ben Root