Hi,

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 10:53 AM, Nelle Varoquaux
<nelle.varoqu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Consistency: it is never capitalized in matplotlib's documentation.
>>

>> True, and a valid point--but we could easily change that.  Wouldn't it make
>> it bit more readable if sentences always started with a capital letter?
>> Starting with lower case just looks wrong and artificial.
>
> I'm going to give two bad reasons to keep it this way:
> 1. backward compatibility :p
> 2. you are used to having sentences start with capital letter, but
> this is mostly cultural. German People capitalize almost all Words in
> a Sentence. It just looks weird too… (There is the other extreme:
> people who don't seem to know where the shift button on their keyboard
> is when writing an email.)
>
> I'm actually fine with changing it, but I think we should try as much
> as possible to be consistent.

I suppose everyone would agree that <pre>matplotlib</pre> should never
be capitalized.  I guess also that your (Ben's) typsetters will not
often be using <pre></pre> formatted matplotlib.  In that case I would
say Matplotlib is a English proper noun and standard capitalization
rules apply.   It would probably be confusing to try and distinguish
between the project and the software with capitalization.

Does it matter that the book and the mpl documentation have a
different convention?

Cheers,

Matthew