It's good to hear Stefan is working on circular colormaps as the hsv
colormap is way too saturated, ignoring any perceptual aspects. For this,
it might be possible to provide some sort of saturation parameter in a
function along the lines of the parameters in the cubehelix function? Also,
sympy/mpmath's cplot function allows you to modulate the
nominally-perceptually-flat hsv map with a value-related function, which
they take as the absolute value of the function, but ideally it would be
any function or array that could ideally be passed in as a parameter. I
have plotted images like this in the past, where I was plotting the phase
of a complex number field but only wanted to use the envelope of the
overall function to control the saturation so you could see the structure
near the singularities but the brightness would fall off in the outer parts
of the image.

Gary R